Chicago hotels for U of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzBen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for hotels in the Chicago area? :)Transportation?

Going to be interviewing at Univ. of Chicago on 11/18 - 11/19.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there aren't any great hotels near campus. The southside of chicago is, well, the southside of chicago. There is a ramada or something, but it looks pretty dumpy. My advice would be to hotwire/priceline anything in the downtown area and cab it. It's maybe a $15 ride. On the way home, it's easy enough to get a cab from the hotel to a redline stop to take the El back (the reverse is less true; it'd be difficult to take the redline from your hotel and get a cab from the redline stop to campus cuz there won't be cabs at the stop). If you're really strapped for cash, you can take the Metra (commuter rail, not the El) from downtown to hyde park and then walk a little less than a mile to the department. When I interviewed back in 2004, I stayed with a friend on the far northside, but met one of the chiefs at the dinner before and he lived nearby and drove me (what a guy!). Maybe you'll have the same luck.

BTW, I'm a PGY3 there and would be happy to help out or answer any questions... PM me (although I'll be at ASA the next few days and unable to answer).

Here are some not too expensive options I found on U of C's website.

International House (graduate student dormitory)
1414 E. 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 753-2270
Starting at $57
http://ihouse.uchicago.edu/residency/residency_short.shtml

Quadrangle Club
1155 E. 57th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 702-2550
$95
On-site restaurant
Private bath
Rooms on third floor, no elevator
Street parking
Tennis court
Within walking distance of the Hospitals

Im a CA-1 at UofC...dont stay at any "hotels" in the area...this is a very quick way to get turned off of the program. The quadrangle club is a great option-nice part of campus and walking distance to the hospital. cheap airport shuttle daily as well.