Chicago Med/Finch, New York Med, MCP Hanhemann Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-bound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have interviewed at Chicago Med, MCP Hanhemann, or New York Med? I am waiting to hear back from them along with several other schools. I am getting a little discouraged because I have a number of peers who have interviewed all over and I haven't received any word at all.
frown.gif

For those who have interviewed would you mind sharing your experience at the interview, impressions, and your stats. If there is anything you think that would help please respond--thanks in advance for the help and the best of luck to you all!!!

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited 11-29-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Chicago Med (Finch) in October. My experience is as follows. There were about 30 other applicants interviewing on my day. Everyone was very friendly. They served a nice continental breakfast. I had 2 interviews (one student, one faculty). The interviewers had my file in front of them. Both conversations were very friendly and laid-back. I was given a tour after my interviews. BTW, I have a 3.73 gpa and 29 MCAT. Hope this helps some. Don't sweat it.

GT,

Where else have you interviewed? Any acceptances yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have interviewed at Chicago Med, Boston University, and Tufts. I'm scheduled to interview at the Medical College of Wisconsin next week and UC-Irvine in January. As a point of interest, all the other UC's gave me the boot (probably because of an 8 in the verbal section). Anyhow, I haven't received any acceptances yet (still keeping my fingers crossed).

Hey GT,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and stats--I really appreciate it. I was curious about what you thought of your BU interview and the overall experience when you were at the medical campus. I only ask because I work at BUMC right now and have had a chance to really get to know how things work there. If you have any questions or would like any info on the BU scene don't hesitate to let me know.

Oddly enough I think you and I share very similar scores on the MCAT--I too got an 8 in verbal and an overall 29 from the August '00 exam. Did you take the August MCAT and then receive your interviews after your scores went out, or did you already apply with your MCAT scores? I know that having my MCAT scores come out in the end of October did not really help with the timeliness of my application, but I felt it was better to apply with a new and higher score.

Thanks again for your help--good luck with your interviews at UCI and MCW, kick ass!!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited 11-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited 11-30-2000).]

GT,

Way to go on the interviews. Lets us know how they go! Also, fill us in WHEN you get an acceptance letter!
smile.gif

Best wishes

First off, thanks everyone for the kind words. It's nice to have such supportive peers. As far my experiences at BU, I can say this much. . .

The interview day was nothing special relative to the others. That is, they asked me to arrive at my scheduled interview time. When I arrived at the admissions office, they gave me a brief synopsis of my interviewer's career (very helpful)and directions to his office. My interview lasted about an hour and then I joined the student lead tour (which included a brief sandwich lunch) shortly afterward. It seemed to me that an individual's interview could be either in the morning before the tour or in the afternoon after the tour. Once the tour ended, the interview day did as well. Overall, I was impressed with the school. It certainly has a strong academic reputation, and, being as it is located in a city with outstanding hospitals, I don't think that anyone interested in practicing clinically could go wrong with their choice to attend BU. My interviewer was very friendly and he suggested that, because BU interviews FAR more applicants than they accept, I should write them a letter if I'm very interested in the school. For me, the choice between a school like BU and a school like Tufts would be a very difficult one. Both have strong programs that seem to provide ample resources and flexibility in the curriculum to pursue research interests (if that's your pleasure). Both have impressive match lists. Both are very expensive. And, neither are situated in phenomenal neighborhoods (read: the neighborhoods are kind of sketchy but not blatantly unsafe). Not that I'll necessarily have the luxury of being able to choose between those schools, but I'd nonetheless be very interested in hearing the opinions of others who have visited those schools. BTW, I applied in June with my MCAT's already out of the way.