Chicago Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
•••quote:•••Originally posted by johne:
•The 50 seat number is sure to still go up and the people that are on hold might have already been accepted somewhere else so our chances aren't bad.
I called as well and I was told by the young guy to call back at the end of the week. This may be good news for me..??•••••Believe me, I honestly hope that we have good odds and that we still have a chance of getting in! I just dont think the odds are at 76% anymore. The 150 rejected people have to come from somewhere and it's gotta be from this list that we're on. That's what scares me. But of course, people will come off it. Maybe youre in a better situation since you interviewed later and so you might get in right away. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone! i was just wondering what everyone's stats are who are on the waitlist? If you don't mind :D

I just called CMS and they didn't tell me anything about having 50 seats. In fact, the guy that answered the phone said that the class was full. However, he said that last year 15-20 people dropped out before the week of orientation. If anyone calls today, can you ask how many they suspect will drop out in the next 3-4 weeks? Thanks. Anyway, if your application is STILL on hold he said first week of July would be the time to call. Good Luck Everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by tristan:
•I just called CMS and they didn't tell me anything about having 50 seats. In fact, the guy that answered the phone said that the class was full.•••••Full? Huh? I had called yesterday too, and the lady that answered said that currently the class stands at 110 people and the guy today said that the class is not full too. It sucks that we are getting conflicting info.

If anyone is planning to call within the next few days can you please ask how many total have been accepted and how many have been interviewed this year? I will ask that info when I call again in 2 weeks, but it sucks to wait that long!

Yeah, i have a hard time believing that they are full right now also. When I just called, I also spoke to the man at the admissions office and was told a similar story as Nugirl. Even when I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago there were 50 spots open, and they were expecting more to open up in the coming weeks.

Full?? Wow....well when I interviewed on May 29th, I was told that there were about 40 seats open. And for thos wondering, yes the ADCOM meeting was indeed yesterday from 12-3 I believe. I spoke to the head of the committee (he was one of the heads of my MIS program) who had todl me this a couple weeks back. I know for people in my shoes, we can expect a decision anytime now. Im a little antsy because after a year of stress with classes there I just want to end the wait!! Hope things work out for everyone!!!

Oh and yes I know for sure that they have accepted people in July so dont fret guys!!

One more thing....I saw someone had asked if there were a lot of Cali people at CMS. Yes there definitely are...Id say 50% almost if not a little more.

Did anyone who call happen to ask the number accepted so far and the number interviewed? I am REALLY dying to know those stats to compare them with last year's. I cant call again cause I called two days in a row. :) THANKS!

Any new updates?

Last time I called they said they expect the number interviewed and accepted to be similar to last years numbers. I think that they can only estimate the number at this point since we all seem to be getting conflicting but generally the same numbers from them.

Anyone with new news?

I just thought that if, for example, we found out that they have accepted 400 people so far then possibily they will accept 39 more this year since 439 total were accepted last year. That's why I want to know the numbers for this year.

Im hoping that they didnt interview as many people this year as last year, cause then we have a better shot! Anyone know the approx number interviewed this year?

dude.
i just have to post to STOP the madness.
it is funny to actually SEE the disinformation and rumor-mill before my eyes. as you have all admitted, there is a TON of conflicting information.
so let me say this:
1. you all have already done your best. you can do no more than ...WAIT. and i know waiting, no es bueno, and is such a helpless feeling.
2. yes, you CAN be interviewed late (i.e., July), and you CAN get accepted in July. there are a few CMS kids that were accepted a few weeks/days before the start of classes.
3. if it's late in the, (NUGirl) you will probably get a phone call early in the morning, (and of course, you will still get a letter in the mail so you can frame it).
4. stop stressing about the numbers and how many seats are left. CMS is NOT the 1st choice for ANYone. no one i've talked to has chosen CMS over another school. i mean, $32K tuition and Waukegan??? so all of you can expect high turn-over numbers of people who decline as they get other offers. so chill and wait.
5. July 22nd is the first day of orientation. July29 is the first day of classes. so stress when it's July20th. relax till then.

otherwise. good luck and chill out. the system has been around for hundreds of years, and the system works. you just gotta trust in it.
and also...most of you will NOT get into med school this time. doesn't mean that you will not EVER get in. so keep your head up, and keep trying. there is more than one way to get to be a healer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, FU...CMS is right. I hate to be the one to admit it, but amidst our desperation, we have forgotten that there's not much we can do. I think all of us have done our best. Perhaps, many of us won't get in this year. This does not mean that we can't next year. But, I don't see anything wrong with finding out the stats. I guess it's the only things that gives us hope. Hang in there guys. We'll get through it.

Yeah you guys are completely correct. I think that we have let our frustrations get the best of us. I'm very satisfied about how everything went while I was there for my interview and all I really can do is be patient. I probably added fuel to the fire with some of my posts, but I figured I would share what I learned with the rest of you because we are all in the same boat.

I can confirm what Tristan was saying about the class being full. The 110 seats was BEFORE the meeting on Mon. The guy said that they right now have a full class because they have filled those remaining spots with acceptances. They havent mailed them out yet so the accepted dont know. Oh, and they have interviewed this year 650 people!!!!!!!! :( Last year they only interviewed 573.

Probably some of you that have just been interviewed will have been accepted, and some on hold too.

Nugirl, you've really been a gem when it comes to new info. :) Quite amazing that they filled the class that quickly in just one adcom meeting. Hopefully we are in the list of those slated to receive a letter. :D

Nugirl,

Let me get this straight. They filled the 75 spots after the meeting making a full class, which is what they told me. Now they also told me to call again in two weeks. I guess I'm not included in the lucky 75. Did they have info for the people that answered phones Tuesday, a day after the meeting? If so, I'm toast.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by tristan:
•Nugirl,

Let me get this straight. They filled the 75 spots after the meeting making a full class, which is what they told me. Now they also told me to call again in two weeks. I guess I'm not included in the lucky 75. Did they have info for the people that answered phones Tuesday, a day after the meeting? If so, I'm toast.•••••Yep, you got it straight. I think Im toast too, unfortunately. Although, he did say that they keep getting withdrawls every day, so more will be accepted. Also, not everyone will accept the offers that they are going to send out this week. So there is still hope, but not as much as there was when there were 75 seats available. And we had such good odds of getting one of them too! Oh well, the wait continues for us unfortunately.....

Solidgold, Im really rooting for you and I hope that you are one of those accepted! You should call them tomorrow and find out cause he said that the acceptances are literally sitting on his desk.

Thanks Nugirl, I'm rooting for you like a Brazilian soccer fan. :D :clap: But I might be in the same shoes as you since when I called them on Tuesday they told me to call back in 2 weeks. :( I think I'm going to hold off and call on Monday while keeping an eye on the mail over the weekend because I think I've been bugging them too often over the past couple of weeks.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SolidGold:
•I think I'm going to hold off and call on Monday while keeping an eye on the mail over the weekend because I think I've been bugging them too often over the past couple of weeks.•••••Let us know if anything changes with your status!

I called on Tues too and got the same info as you.
I wish I could call again today, but I have called WAY too many times. I already got to know all the people who answer the phone, and one of them knows me by name. :) But if something changes for you, and I hope it does, Ill def call on Mon or Tues.....again. :wink:

Unlike for other schools, there appears to be a TREMENDOUS amount of withdrawls, so we're not quite out of it yet!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
i am so excited because i just got accepted today! its my first acceptance, so its a wonderful relief to know that someone is going to give me a chance.
if they just sent the BIG envelopes, i am sure a bunch of you will get some soon.
good luck and think happy thoughts!
Am

Congrats Amma!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: See you in July! :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting...I really hope you all get in so SDN can represent :wink:

Solid and NUGirl, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you....

Congrats Amma! :clap: :) :clap: :) :clap:

That's wonderful news!

just to let you all know.
things are kinda different this year, also. b/c of the new (stupid) online primaries. so they are really late in the game.
second, they just made their decisions on the AP kids. and i'm assuming that they will be making decisions on the MIS students too soon.
Tristan (Legends of the Fall fan??), nothing wrong with getting stats and numbers, but what do you do with stats, esp if they are unreliable? don't try to freak yourself out, and second guess everything.
i used to think that the whole mystique of admissions had to do with smoke-filled rooms, and The Man making arbitrary decisions. but every school has a system, and you just have to have faith.
you have already done the best you can, and done all you can. you just have to wait and see.
like i said...CMS is like all the other private, expensive, lower-tiered schools. it's everyone's "back up", and it's NO ONE's first choice. so that's why there is a large number of people that withdraw and turn down acceptances. ($32K tuition and living in Waukegan for two yrs??).
but for those who are not winning the Waitlist Lotto, it may be time to think about things HONESTLY and CANDIDLY, and to start thinking of alternatives. not in giving up medicine, but other possible routes to the same end-goal. post-bacchs, the AP prg at CMS, overseas, DO schools, etc. the avg incoming age of med students is 25 yr old. so you still have plenty of time. and my theory is, i was much happier taking my year off at age 23, instead of trying to get into school a year earlier and reitiring a year earlier, and having a year "off" at age 65.
if things don't work out, take some time off, work, redefine your self and your priorities, and then try again. but most importantly, be honest with yourself.
but till then....good luck, and hang in there. there is more than one way to get into med school, and you can always try more than once.

FU...CMS,

Thanks for your advice. I have thought about other alternatives. In fact, I've decided to take the MCAT this august. I think my GPA is good. I have a 3.7 with a 3.5 SGPA. The only thing that was holding me back was my MCAT. I got a 26 with a 7v 9p 10b. I know I can improve at least a few points. Maybe next year I'll be a better applicant. Anyway, I don't know for sure what I'm going to do for a year, but I think I'll be taking more classes to improve my GPA. Thanks for your advice.

Thank you guys for the notes, i am really excited and so is my family. ( i think they are just as relieved as i am.)
I am hoping you all get accepted as well!
good luck and enjoy the weekend:)

Let me add my congrats as well Amma!! You should definitely enjoy the feeling. I found out myself that I was finally in at CMS yesterday as well so I can totally identify. Guess I'll be seeing you around in July as a future classmate :)

Congrats Amma and Desi! :) :clap: :clap:
Desi, will you be choosing finch over mcp? so you can bequeath your spot to me? :wink:

Thanks CityIvy! I think Im still gonna sit tight on all my waitlists and see what happens. MCP is the only one I think that has realistic chance at happening so we'll see. I really hope that you get in there though! Maybe if things break right we'll both be there... :)

Does anybody have any new info?

I guess the next adcom meeting is on Monday the 24th, since they meet every 2 weeks. Hopefully some spots opened up for all of us for the next batch of acceptances.

Anyone have new info?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DesiMDHopeful:
•Thanks CityIvy! I think Im still gonna sit tight on all my waitlists and see what happens. MCP is the only one I think that has realistic chance at happening so we'll see. I really hope that you get in there though! Maybe if things break right we'll both be there... :) •••••Desi, not to burst your bubble but people from the subcontinent come in the ORM (over represented minority) category. Unless you are a FOB you cant play the diversity card.
To summarize, your chances to get off the waitlist at MCP are slim to none, PM me if you need further advice.

No you're not bursting my bubble. I know the term ORM is true when it comes to indians in medicine but regardless Ive known of fellow indian people getting in off waitlists at quite a few schools (MCP Included) that were not FOBS so Im willing to take my chances and see what happens. Thanks for the info though....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SolidGold:

Anyone have new info?•••••This isn't really "new" info, but the exact number of graduate people that they accepted and the number that they know for sure will attend is 70!!!

The next time to call is the first week of July. But I don't know if I will because I'm too scared to hear the words "youre still under consideration." If Im "still under consideration" by that time then I will consider myself rejected. :(

SolidGold, are u planning on calling at the end of June/beginning of July?

Desi: does NUGirls # sound right to you? 70 ancillary grad students got accepted? i'm not so sure.

b/c the beginning of Spring Qtr, we only had 65 kids in the AP prg. how many MIS'ers were there? didn't you say only 9 interviewed? and i know i can NAME at least 7 people did NOT make it and are not going to attend. that makes it to that brings it to a MAX of 67.

oh my bad. one kid got in, but is going to another school too. so now the maximum possible is 66. and that is a generous estimation.

70 does sound kind of high. One of the ex-deans of the school who was conducting interviews said that typically about 40 to 50 students from the grad program are accepted every year and attend.

Believe me, it sounds high to me too. I got the number from Kristine Jones, personally, yesterday. Maybe she overestimated or something. But that's the number she gave me.

FU...Im not sure. That number might be way overdone indeed. Im guessing about 7-8 MISers made it (of the 9 that interviewed I know one for certain that was not going to make it) but then there also the CHAMPS students. They were to have had their interviews on the 10th I believe. Im not sure how many of them there are but you can count them in the mix too along with any other grad students from various other depts (probably makes up about another handful or so Id guess), because I know Sukowski told us that they all get interviewed at the end. Either way I think 70 sounds waaaaaay too high.

dude, the only way to find out for sure...is if one of you neurotic pre-meds (i only say that in a good and loving way), calls Kris Jones and asks her the exact number...from each program...

b/c i don't remember that many CHAMPs students in our classes? and i don't think they have any other ancillary programs....

BUMP, any new info?

The meeting is sometime this week. It might have been today. (It was on Mon last time). Let me know if you find out anything SolidGold! Are you planning on calling?

I hope my spot goes to one of you! :)

Ill bump this to the top! :D

Did anyone call today or yesterday?

I officially withdrew today :( It felt bad, because I was so grateful to CMS for giving me an acceptance when I never thought I would get in. I sent a letter, but I also emailed it, and the dean emailed me back already and thanked me for notifying them...so I'm glad it was speedy and hopefully it will hellp one of you ASAP :)

Thank you so much Foxy for being so considerate by withdrawing the first day possible! I am so happy that you got into your first choice, UF! Theyre lucky to have a person like you. :)