Chicago Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
U of Chicago, U of IL Chicago, Loyola, Rush, Cook County, Northwestern. Does anyone have any info. on these programs? If you've rotated, interviewed, are a resident/student at any of them, your experiences would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't going to post because my memory of these programs is rather poor--this despite my interviewing only last year. I interviewed at almost all the Chicago programs, as I was in that area. The only two that I didn't see were UIC (because I always managed to have a conflict with the dates they offered) and Cook (to which I didn't apply). Here's my synopsis as I can recall:

--Rush. This is a small program, taking only two residents per year. I was warned about this, because if one PGY-2 gets sick, there's only one other one to cover. Their structure is somewhat different, as they do not have rotations per se. Instead, each resident has their own clinic and sees problems as they arise. I suppose this is more private practice-style, but I wasn't sure if it was really the way I learned best since it's not as focused. Of course, you have to endure their mandatory prelim year, which does have 6 surgery months. I've not heard that much on that, other than it sounds rough. On the bright side, their program director is very personable, and seems to give his residents a lot of freedom in the OR. Also, staff often give their residents bonus checks during the holidays! Volume is lighter, but this is true of all the Chicago programs I saw (except Loyola).

--Loyola. Very good clinical program, I thought. Their VA is like walking distance from the school, and is a source of lots of volume. I think they pull ~200 cataracts, but my memory may not be serving me correctly. I felt that they are maybe not as academic as others, but by virtue of their volume, I've heard they are the best clinical program in Chi-town. They will tout their recently aquired plastics staff from Michigan, who is a really cool guy and rather well connected at a young age. One of the interviewers will read off a set of standard questions like 'what do you want on your tombstone'--to which you should not reply 'pepperoni and sausage.' Get ready.

--Northwestern. I think this program is in a little bit of flux. Their relationship with the VA system is dwindling, so this hurts volume a lot. Keep in mind that you are now on the filthy rich magnificent mile, so there'll be no county hospital experience. I think that is a negative. My impression is that clinics there are more attending-driven, but anyone with a different experience please correct me. I think the pluses there are that you'll likely be treated well and you're in a great part of town.

--U of C. Honestly, I don't remember anything about this program except that it's relatively small and that I actually liked it relative to the other programs. Sorry I counldn't be more helpful here.

Keep in mind that all of the Chicago programs share a Saturday lecture series that calls upon the regional 'experts' from each program. Also, if you find yourself at UIC or U Mich, and your interviewer asks you about the other program, BE NICE. He's really asking about his twin brother--they're both ophtho faculty. :eek: .

Cheers,
ophth_not_opth