sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm posting this on general residency because I would like perspectives from current students and/or residents. I am currently trying to decide between this two schools, and perhaps cornell, if I ever get off the WL.

From my perspective, here're what I like about each school:

Baylor: awesome curriculum, 1.5 years pre-clinical, not too much time in lectures (out by noon 3x a week and 3 p.m. 2x a week), early patients contact, a lot of flexibility (~ 8 months to do whatever rotation I want if I remember correctly) in the clinical years, Texas Medical Center is HUGE. Houston is very cheap to live in and it is very WARM.

Chicago: I just can't put my fingers on this one, but I feel like this was a place where I would be happy at. The students I met were incredibly interesting, diverse, and well-rounded. I also like the fact that the medical school is right in the middle of the campus, where I could (potentially) interact with other grad/professional school students. The match-list is AWESOME.

My concern for Baylor is that about 80% of their student chose to stay in Texas....so I'm not sure whether it has the same national reputation as U of Chicago. On the other hand, I heard from a (perhaps not-so-reputable) source that U of Chicago is on the decline. (Weren't they ranked in the top 10 a few years ago?) They also spend a lot of time in lectures and Tuition/cost of living is quite a bit more expensive than Baylor's.

FWIW, US news ranking for baylor is 13 and Chicago is 22.

As of now, I'm interested in a career in rather competitive fields (derm, interventional radiology, cardiology). I'm a bit of a nontraditional (currently 30, PhD in biomedical engineering from Harvard/MIT).

If you were me, where would you go?

MedPuck

Made
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2001
Visit site
Status
Seriously, neither school puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to choosing a competitive residency, especially with a PhD in engineering. Do well in med school/boards and your path is in your hands. I personally love the city of Chicago and couldn't deal with the humidity of the south. But, you must go with your gut on this one, rankings are a moot point between these schools.

Thrombus

Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
80% stay in Texas because they have to fill a quota of in state residents

Most Texans prefer to stay in the country of Texas :)

Go where you want to live for 4 years. Do well and you should get a ticket to anywhere

clc17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
Status
If you still have the chance to choose your med school, and you are seriously considering derm, go to Baylor. Derm is Chicago has been in trouble for years. Also, Cornell wouldn't be a bad choice, and NYC has a ton of derm programs you would be close to.

You can get to any of those other fields from any of the medical schools.

retroviridae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Houston, TX
Status
Baylor probably does not have the reputation of U Chicago, but Baylor students who want to go outside of TX for residency can usually get them. They just chose to stay here. Baylor is a great program ... AND the weather is GREAT (as long as a tropical storm doesn't come through) and the housing is relatively cheap.