Chicago School of Prof. Psychology - Research Opportunities for MA Students?

Nov 30, 2010
Status
I am thinking about applying to the MA in Clinical/Counseling program at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. I am wondering if there are any current or former students of the school around who can shed some light on what the research opportunities are like for Master's students there.

Did/does the faculty there conduct research that students have a chance to participate in?

Does the program offer you enough research opportunities to be competitive in applying to PhD programs?

In general, are the research opps there adequate?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I apologize if this is covered somewhere else on the forum. Please point me in the right direction if this is answered somewhere else here.

:D

OP
S
Nov 30, 2010
Status
It appears that the deafening silence on this thread is perhaps my answer...:scared:

Ollie123

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Cannot comment on the specific opportunities at that school, but I will say that a MA from a professional school would likely be viewed as a negative at the school I'm at (i.e. something you would need to overcome, rather than something that would strengthen your application), and I suspect many other programs would feel the same. On the other hand, if you are planning on going to similar programs for your PhD, this is probably not the case..

Depends what your goals are, but if you are shooting for one of the more competitive, funded, research-oriented PhD programs there are probably better options for improving your application.

Jul 7, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Cannot comment on the specific opportunities at that school, but I will say that a MA from a professional school would likely be viewed as a negative at the school I'm at (i.e. something you would need to overcome, rather than something that would strengthen your application), and I suspect many other programs would feel the same. On the other hand, if you are planning on going to similar programs for your PhD, this is probably not the case..

Depends what your goals are, but if you are shooting for one of the more competitive, funded, research-oriented PhD programs there are probably better options for improving your application.
A very diplomatic way to say that it is a mistake. And IMO, it would be.