Feb 3, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Status
Non-Student
Anyone applying to the CSPP PsyD program starting in Washington, D.C. this Fall? I know this program is not APA accredited at the moment, but I wonder if they will be in a few years.

I am interested in the social awareness of this program, being an MSW. It concerns me that it's not accredited yet, but there have to be successfull clinicians out there who have graduated from a non-APA accredited Psy.D. program, right?

psich

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2009
Status
Anyone applying to the CSPP PsyD program starting in Washington, D.C. this Fall? I know this program is not APA accredited at the moment, but I wonder if they will be in a few years.

I am interested in the social awareness of this program, being an MSW. It concerns me that it's not accredited yet, but there have to be successfull clinicians out there who have graduated from a non-APA accredited Psy.D. program, right?
You're right to worry about APA accreditation - it can really make a difference once you start looking for internships and work in the future. There are many clinicians out there who are successfully practicing despite having graduated from an non-APA-accredited site, but you will be limiting yourself if you go to such a school. On top of that, I think the graduate institution you attend is important, especially when it comes to the PsyD degree. Think carefully about whether or not you want to set yourself up for potential limitations in the future.