Chicago School or Adler? I'd love your input!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrettyNPink1441

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

As the APA deadline nears, I am struggling to choose between the Chicago School and the Adler School.

I have done tons of research, talked to tons of people, and am looking for some last minute input.

I have particular interest if you attend either of these schools, as I'd love to hear from students - why you chose to go there? why you chose not to attend? what do you love? what would you improve? what is the feel of the campus and its students?

THANK YOU!! I WOULD LOVE ANY AND ALL INPUT!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I definitely understand your decision; however....I graduated with a GPA and GRE score that I was confident with and, in addition, I knew I wanted to stay in Chicago. Throughout the research I was involved in during undergrad, I knew that was NOT what I wanted to do for the next 6 years.

I am interested in clinical work, and (although PhDs tend to turn their noses up at the idea) I thought a Psy.D. would be the most relevant and enjoyable experience for me.

THEREFORE, I really appreciate your feedback. However, I know that I want to pursue a Psy.D..... preferably in the city of Chicago.

So, IF THERE IS ANY FEEDBACK PERTAINING TO ADLER SCHOOL VS. CHICAGO SCHOOL, (and not PsyD vs PhD) I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK!!! THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine went to Adler and she seemed to like it. She did mention that the stats training is rather weak, though they have stats people you can consult with for your dissertation. She secured a solid internship and her practicum experiences sounded worthwhile. I don't have any direct knowledge of the program, but this is at least something.

Hey, I'm in the same boat you are, except with The Chicago School vs. Argosy-Chicago. I'm also trying to decide between a MSW as well because I got into a program for that too. Have you talked to any students at CSOPP? I know Adler is opening new facilities this fall with a gymnasium, but they have a community service requirement for all students in addition to practicum and coursework. Also, what are their internship statistics? I know the Chicago School has pretty decent numbers for a PsyD program, and after talking to someone in the Field Placement office, it sounds like they work with you if you don't get an internship at the first match process.

My friend went to Adler for a year and hated it. She ended up transferring out.

Keep in mind though that she was super research oriented and not very keen on the Adlerian orientation.

My friend went to Adler for a year and hated it. She ended up transferring out.

Keep in mind though that she was super research oriented and not very keen on the Adlerian orientation.
Why the heck did she go then? Nothing about Adler screams research. I looked at balanced programs and it wasn't remotely close for my ranking, let alone if I was a researcher. :confused:

Honestly, I had the same thought when I found out she was going. But I guess they told her that the faculty members were active in research and she'd still have the opportunity to conduct research... which ended up not being the case.