Program-Specific Info / Q's Chicago State MOT - Illinois budget news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTfromIT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I did not apply to or get rejected from Chicago State, nor do I know anyone who goes there/went there = I have no axe to grind; just informing students who may not be from Illinois/Chicagoland.)

FYI: If you are interested in applying to Chicago State MOT, it might behoove you to check Twitter and the like for the latest info (re: Chicago Tribune - largest newspaper in Chicago) on the Illinois budget crisis and the possible effects on CSU. Factually, they held classes during what would normally have been Spring Break so they could finish up the school year before running out of money, and they sent out a notice Friday of possibly laying off all employees. All Illinois public universities have been affected to some extent, but CSU appears to be the worst case scenario.
Of course, this could all be just political posturing - Bernie Sanders even made a speech there recently addressing CSU specifically, but it is something to keep an eye on.
If anything, if you are interested in CSU, I would suggest calling or emailing the OT department directly and getting their outlook on the budget matter and if/how they might be affected.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a faculty member and the coordinator of the MOT Program at Chicago State University. I want to make sure that all of you know that we are NOT planning to close. While the University is making adjustments due to the State Budget Impasse we are currently processing admission applications for Fall 2016. If you have other questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected] or attend our monthly information session the 4th Wednesday of the month.

Be aware that only about half of the students accepted to this program actually graduate. scroll to the bottom of this link to see that stats yourself from Chicago State's OT department website: https://www.csu.edu/occupationaltherapy/dept.htm

This is not an error and the statistics have been the same the previous 3 years and look to be on track for the following/current 3 years. I know this because I am in the program and have seen my class size particularly decimated from about 35 students the 1st semester to 12 continuing full time this, our 2nd year. of those 12 only about 8 or 9 are actually on track to graduate on time. This is another thing to point out the majority of the students accepted do not graduate this program on time with many being pushed to part time after their 1st or 2nd semester. This means if you decide to attend this program you are taking a massive risk. Yes this program is less expensive than other private universities however a typical private university or any MOT program for that matter has a 90%+ graduation rate within 2 years. Thats right only 2 years not 3 or 4.5 years if your lucky. Do the math attending this program is not worth the incomprehensible risk of being saddled with unforgivable student loans that you will have no way of paying back if you do not graduate not to mention the ridiculous amount of stress that comes with every test and assignment knowing these ludicrous odds. This program should be an absolute last resort heck I would not recommend applying at all. I have yet to hear anyone in my class say that they would recommend this program to a friend, not a single one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago state universities OT program is a joke. Do not attend here. This program needs to be shut down. The teachers here have NO intentions of helping the struggling student whatsoever. They will just dismiss you and take all of your money. All the professors there have some serious issues and are very unethical. Its sad that there are programs like this out there. What is this institution trying to prove? In this world we need to help each other out. If the professors accept you into a program, its their responsibility to help you rise and get you through to become the best practitioner you can be. Unfortunately the OT program at CSU doesn't believe in that. They're the lairs and cheats in this world. DO NOT ATTEND.

Chicago state universities OT program is a joke. Do not attend here. This program needs to be shut down. The teachers here have NO intentions of helping the struggling student whatsoever. They will just dismiss you and take all of your money. All the professors there have some serious issues and are very unethical. Its sad that there are programs like this out there. What is this institution trying to prove? In this world we need to help each other out. If the professors accept you into a program, its their responsibility to help you rise and get you through to become the best practitioner you can be. Unfortunately the OT program at CSU doesn't believe in that. They're the lairs and cheats in this world. DO NOT ATTEND.
Is this still the case?