Chief Neuro surgeon arrested for felony assault

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COMBAT MEDIC172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah so this guy was arrested for 2nd degree assault. He is a field grade officer at the Army hospital where I work. The article states that the Dr. was cut off while driving home. He followed the guy that cut him off for ten miles. When the vehicle stopped he pulled the man out of the vehicle and beat him in the face with a metal thermos. The victim ended up being a 60 y/o male and suffered serious injuries including chipped teeth. The Dr. claimed that he was stressed over the status of a patient of his. The patient is a young boy who was ran over by a boater while canoeing. The boater left the scene. This is crazy; this doc had ten miles to cool down. Could he really of been that stressed over work? This doc is the Chief Neuro surgeon. This is a serious felony, what do you think will happen to him? I will try to find the article.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure the Hippocratic oath includes "First, do no metal-thermos-face-beating".

Also: :eek:

Beating the guy in the face. Hmmm, maybe he was trying to make that old man his next patient. Nothing says potential brain injury like beating a 60 yo man in the head with a metal object.

Yeah so this guy was arrested for 2nd degree assault. He is a field grade officer at the Army hospital where I work. The article states that the Dr. was cut off while driving home. He followed the guy that cut him off for ten miles. When the vehicle stopped he pulled the man out of the vehicle and beat him in the face with a metal thermos. The victim ended up being a 60 y/o male and suffered serious injuries including chipped teeth. The Dr. claimed that he was stressed over the status of a patient of his. The patient is a young boy who was ran over by a boater while canoeing. The boater left the scene. This is crazy; this doc had ten miles to cool down. Could he really of been that stressed over work? This doc is the Chief Neuro surgeon. This is a serious felony, what do you think will happen to him? I will try to find the article.

He beat a guy up. I'm not going to defend what the doctor did. Beating another person is illegal (unless self defense).

Next person in.

He must have been one of Chris Brown's disciples.

ba dum psh! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Being cut off while driving is very annoying. I'm prone to road rage.

what a f'n waste of medical training, road rage is a serious thing

Being cut off while driving is very annoying. I'm prone to road rage.

I tend to get annoyed and upset when people cut me off...but I have yet to stalk them for ten miles and proceed to beat them with my thermos. Surgeon or not, he should be punished (and I'm sure he will be).

I want this guy to operate on me when he's having a stressed day. Probably wake up with half a brain and him explaining to me that he's really stressed out over these bogus assault charges he's facing with this guy who attacked him ...

Guy sounds like he has issues. Big issues. Probably ' need to get away from clinical medicine for a while ' issues.

Every one has experienced some form of road rage , however I think I would of cooled down after ten minutes , and if not I would of cooled after I seen the man was an elderly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah 60 is still plenty young , however I see so many patients under 60 that can barely walk. In my head that guy that that got beat up was on portable o2 , false teeth, pacemaker in place, and uses a walker to get around. First name Robert and goes by Dick.

Wonder how he treated his residents

60 is not young................

young (y
ubreve.gif
ng)adj. young·er, young·est 1. Being in an early period of life, development, or growth.

The neurosurgeon deserves to spend serious jail time, and I hope he gets fired too.

Sounds like my old roommate. My roommate got cut off and followed the guy about the same distance. He then stalked him around walmart for 20 minutes, wailed on the guy in the walmart parking lot and drove off.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have violent thoughts with bad drivers but people are crazy and carry things...like guns.

I cut people off all the time on accident.

When someone cuts me off, I just understand that he or she made a mistake.

What's the big deal? It's like 5-10 seconds of your life.

Well of course it would have not made the news. Working on brains and pumping gas is a major difference. The fact that he specializes in Neuro and could have possibly caused brain damage to Dick is ironic. Now if the guy that works at the gas station dowsed you with gas and lit you on fire that would be on the news.

Would the plumber hitting you with a monkey wrench or the fry guy drowning you in salt be on the news?

What the doc did wasn't right, but the media seized the opportunity to go, "Look a doctor acting like a jack***."

lol, man I feel you, by the way I used to think that you were this super hot chick. Any ways that doc is an idiot. Now if that plumber drowned you in a toilet it shoved a wrench in your ass it would make the news.

A lot of neurosurgeons are kinda crazy. I don't know if it's the long hours or if it's their competitve nature or an ego thing, but I've talked with some clinical neurologists and they related to me how the attending neurosurgeons treated them s*** when they were doing their residencies. Neurosurgery (and cardiosurgery) seems like a field where there is a lot of stress and people just snap sometimes.

I'm pretty sure the Hippocratic oath includes "First, do no metal-thermos-face-beating".

Good one, although the Hippocratic oath says nothing about harming patients.

Maybe it's just my thesis-addled brain, but this had me chuckling to myself for a good 30 seconds

Am I the only one who laughed at this part, "Witnesses got the license plate number for Geyer’s Mini Cooper"? I mean a mini cooper, those cars just make me laugh. I don't know why...:laugh:

What ever happened to expressing your road feelings through the use or a particular finger, or colorful language, or shining your brights into their rear view mirror. Aww the good old days.

Also, as we are sharing stories ... I went to high school with a guy (I can't call him a friend because I hated him, but knew/basically had to be around him through sports) who got cut-off by some guy, followed the guy home, and then proceeded to get out of the car, act tough, and get his ass kicked.

And by the way ... for the people who say 60 isn't old ... jump out from behind the couch and swing a metal object at your grandpa's face tomorrow. See what happens. :smuggrin:

What ever happened to expressing your road feelings through the use or a particular finger, or colorful language, or shining your brights into their rear view mirror. Aww the good old days.

I had a guy in a comcast truck nearly ran me off the road trying to merge into my lane. I honked at the guy and he moved away. He rolled his window down and gave me the finger, to which I promptly replied to the gesture with my own finger. He then starts mouthing things (really, on a highway? I'm going to hear?) I gave him the indication to speak up (cupped hand around ear) and then mouthed the "Oh, really?" and gave him another reply with my hands. The guy then makes it his priority to start tailing me and following me all down the highway. He eventaully stopped following me because he either had clients or realized he was in a company vehicle and if he did anything, Comcast wouldn't be too happy. So, no, honking and fingers don't always work, but it helps to make sure that person is in a company vehicle on the job.:smuggrin:

I had a guy in a comcast truck nearly ran me off the road trying to merge into my lane. I honked at the guy and he moved away. He rolled his window down and gave me the finger, to which I promptly replied to the gesture with my own finger. He then starts mouthing things (really, on a highway? I'm going to hear?) I gave him the indication to speak up (cupped hand around ear) and then mouthed the "Oh, really?" and gave him another reply with my hands. The guy then makes it his priority to start tailing me and following me all down the highway. He eventaully stopped following me because he either had clients or realized he was in a company vehicle and if he did anything, Comcast wouldn't be too happy. So, no, honking and fingers don't always work, but it helps to make sure that person is in a company vehicle on the job.:smuggrin:

If he started tailing you ... you missed an important step: 'break checking.' This dick starts tailing you in a company truck, you break check him a few times, he'll be done. He's not going to hit you - usually accidents from behind are considered the other drivers fault - in his company truck, and if he does ... you get a million dollars from comcast !! :smuggrin:

Just kidding ... sort of. My first post was more joking.

If he started tailing you ... you missed an important step: 'break checking.' This dick starts tailing you in a company truck, you break check him a few times, he'll be done. He's not going to hit you - usually accidents from behind are considered the other drivers fault - in his company truck, and if he does ... you get a million dollars from comcast !! :smuggrin:

Just kidding ... sort of. My first post was more joking.
I kiddingly agree with you...sort of:smuggrin:

Also, as we are sharing stories ... I went to high school with a guy (I can't call him a friend because I hated him, but knew/basically had to be around him through sports) who got cut-off by some guy, followed the guy home, and then proceeded to get out of the car, act tough, and get his ass kicked.

And by the way ... for the people who say 60 isn't old ... jump out from behind the couch and swing a metal object at your grandpa's face tomorrow. See what happens. :smuggrin:

My dad is 60, and I bet he could still kick 75% of younger guys' butts. The number isn't relevant--the physical fitness is. I agree that 60 isn't young, but it's not ELDERLY.

I'm shocked that nobody has defended the doctor yet.

Also, how old is the surgeon? I'm wondering if it's a case of a young guy beating up a much older one or two older men in a tussle.

I'm shocked that nobody has defended the doctor yet.

OK, here goes:
We should wait to hear the whole story before passing judgment. Reporters are under pressure to sensationalize stories all the time. Anyway, if this guy is so unstable, why didn't he just ram the old bastard right then and there? Why'd he calmly follow for 10 miles? That seems more like an "I want to assault this guy with words" mindset.

Anyway, the old guy is a known drunk and threw the first punch.
(Perhaps I missed my calling as a criminal defense attorney?)

OK, here goes:
We should wait to hear the whole story before passing judgment. Reporters are under pressure to sensationalize stories all the time. Anyway, if this guy is so unstable, why didn't he just ram the old bastard right then and there? Why'd he calmly follow for 10 miles? That seems more like an "I want to assault this guy with words" mindset.

Anyway, the old guy is a known drunk and threw the first punch.
(Perhaps I missed my calling as a criminal defense attorney?)
Well....my only question now is;

Where the f.ck is that surgeons key to the city and gold star? I approve of his actions and would do the same.

My dad is 60, and I bet he could still kick 75% of younger guys' butts. The number isn't relevant--the physical fitness is. I agree that 60 isn't young, but it's not ELDERLY.

My dad could beat up your dad.

wow.

Last edited:
My dad could beat up your dad's dad and his dad too.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is coerced into showing his dad's friend he can lift more than him. By the end of the episode, son father and grandfather are all in hospital beds next to one another. The only thing they can say to Jerry at this point is "You think you're better than us!"...

LOL

Hey, he's human. Not saying I agree with that at all, and I do think that he needs time off of work, but you can't blame the guy for overreacting to a situation just like anyone else could have.

Hey, he's human. Not saying I agree with that at all, and I do think that he needs time off of work, but you can't blame the guy for overreacting to a situation just like anyone else could have.

You react to situations by beating people's faces in with steel weapons?? Sounds more robotic than human to me. Honking your horn, flipping the guy off, following him to tell him some things he may not know about himself (or his mother), etc are normal reactions. Honestly, I can even understand getting in a fight if it's two 20-40 year old pissed off dudes, but what he did, I cannot say is a normal reaction or even overreaction ... it's criminal and needs to be addressed.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is coerced into showing his dad's friend he can lift more than him. By the end of the episode, son father and grandfather are all in hospital beds next to one another. The only thing they can say to Jerry at this point is "You think you're better than us!"...

LOL

Great episode.

You react to situations by beating people's faces in with steel weapons?? Sounds more robotic than human to me. Honking your horn, flipping the guy off, following him to tell him some things he may not know about himself (or his mother), etc are normal reactions. Honestly, I can even understand getting in a fight if it's two 20-40 year old pissed off dudes, but what he did, I cannot say is a normal reaction or even overreaction ... it's criminal and needs to be addressed.

I'm not saying it's a good or normal reaction, but thousands of people across the country do these things daily. His little episode is only getting publicity because of his status, but at the end of the day, he can still succumb to overwhelming influences just like everyone else has the potential to.