This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panscan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Few questions for current or past EM chiefs...

I'll be chief next year and am wondering about any tips you have. For context...I'm in a small < 20 resident community program that also houses a bunch of other residency programs such as OB/ortho/IM/FM/GS/uro/ophtho/ENT. We involve those residents in education every now and then. I'm interested in your tips for scheduling stuff, staying organized, ideas for your regular EM conference/education, things to avoid, etc.

Along the same lines, I would love to help make our weekly conferences a bit more high yield than just boring lectures, youtube videos. What do other programs do that the residents like, are interesting, and high yield learning experiences?

Thanks in advance.
Hey man, congrats! I'm the lame-duck academic chief resident for my program. The ABEM 2016 EM model is your friend ( https://www.abem.org/public/publications/em-model/reference ), you should be covering the core content at minimum. I set up a 3 year curriculum based on organ systems for our program. A lot of the core content crap is incredibly low yield and boring material that residents can look up on their own, so I set up asynchronous learning assignments for those boring topics so that lectures remained relatively interesting. Try to get your faculty to assist at getting guest lecturers from other specialties that you know will do a good job. Unfortunately regardless of what you do, upper levels will still complain that they get nothing out of lecture; however, I made sure to set a standard for resident lectures which included, at minimum, including at least 1 primary research article on the topic, and to include little known facts of each topic. I also made sure to include a couple fun topics each month to keep things interesting like a "medical myths" lecture and cool cases that residents had.

Message me if you need any help or would like some examples of what I did.

Make people (attendings, residents, students whatever) give lectures in PechaKucha format. Basically 20 slides, 20 seconds for each slide pretimed (6min40s total). Must better for EM people who can't focus for hour long lectures

PechaKucha - Wikipedia

Similar is the BLAST format as shown here: Peri-Mortem C-Section

Make people (attendings, residents, students whatever) give lectures in PechaKucha format. Basically 20 slides, 20 seconds for each slide pretimed (6min40s total). Must better for EM people who can't focus for hour long lectures

PechaKucha - Wikipedia

Similar is the BLAST format as shown here: Peri-Mortem C-Section
Great in theory, but it would be impossible for OP to have this be a regular thing given that EM residencies are required to have a minimum of 4 hours of didactic time, and OP has less than 20 residents in his program and probably even fewer faculty.

Also, it would require a knowledge of the subject being discussed that most residents don’t have.

Reactions: 1 user