Chief Scribe or ED Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of completing the EMT-B certification class. I have also been scribing for the past six months. Going forward I have the option to take over the chief scribe position - this would be a year long commitment minimum. I have two options going forward. 1.) Take the scribe position for a year+ and then do ED tech work. 2.) Finish the EMT course and immediately start looking for an ED Tech job to replace my scribe job.

Members don't see this ad.

Chief scribe

Agreed. Scribing is an amazing learning experience, especially if the physicians you work with are receptive of your learning. I know you said you have been scribing for 6 months OP, I am two years into scribing and I still learn something new every shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scribed for a few months and got a job as an ED Tech and it was the best decision of my life. I was able work with both docs and nurses, respiratory therapists and about everyone in the hospital. Learned a hell of a lot about interprofessionalism. Able to ask docs any questions I wanted and watch their assessments (without having to worry about charting), diagnoses, and interpretations of radiology and EKGS. Made my own assessments. Had life-changing experiences by being hands-on with the work. Unforgettable experience for me, and I learned more in a month as an ED Tech than I did in a few months scribing.

Reactions: 2 users
ED tech! Literally all of the perks that scribing gets plus hands on experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Chief scribe. Both are great experiences but I believe the chief scribe position shows more longevity/commitment and a promotion which shows you’re doing outstanding work. Ex: 500 hours scribe and 500 hours ED tech vs 500 hours scribe, promoted to chief scribe, 500 hours chief scribe, 1000 hours total

Win win either way.

As a Chief Scribe, you will get tons of leadership experience. You will also work closer with the senior Physician, so hopefully they can write you an awesome letter of recommendation. The cons is that it will require extra time - be prepared to serve as the liaison between physicians and premeds, come in unexpectedly to cover scribe hours when a scribe decides to not come in, and sacrifice personal time for the demands of the chief scribe time.

As a tech, you'll be able to talk about patient encounters. The downfall is you'll be doing a lot of menial tasks.

Reactions: 1 users
Like others have said, both have benefits. I would also look at the pay & benefit differences. No one is going to fault you either way as long as you can explain why you switched.

I was an EMT and ER scribe, and although I thought both were very beneficial, I think being an ER tech would be a better experience. That being said, I wouldn't bank on being able to find an ER tech position as an EMT..most departments around here want CNAs or paramedics as ER techs (mainly because an EMT-B doesn't give you phlebotomy or EKG training). In fact, the reason I became an ER scribe in the first place was that I couldn't find a job as an ER tech and I was bored of doing transports for a private company as an EMT-B.

Like others have said, both have benefits. I would also look at the pay & benefit differences. No one is going to fault you either way as long as you can explain why you switched.
Yeah I totally agree with the above! Along with what you will enjoy most, because I feel like that is incredibly important. I felt like I would get very bored just following the Doc around and typing. Pay was also a huge factor for me. This definitely varies by location but I make double what the scribes make at the ED I work in, and all of the hands on skills and experience is incredibly rewarding and honestly just so much fun. Never a boring day at work.