Chief!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why residents compete for the chief position? I mean do you get more $$ then other residents or it help you to get fellowship after you done? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Chief Resident varies from specialty to specialty. SOme programs (particularly most of the surg subs) make all their senior residents chief residents. others make the chief year an extra year after residency (usually with an attending level hospital position). others select one or two senior residents to serve as chief.

i'm currently a chief resident in my program (along with another 3rd yr resident). i didn't compete -- i was appointed by faculty, my chair and my program director, so it's a position of prestige or "recognition". i am very involved in an administrative role within my residency. i don't make any extra money for it. we are the troubleshooters for all things that involve our residents. it's a busy job, but very rewarding.

it really shouldn't help anyone get into a fellowship, as most residents have committed to fellowships well before their last year of residency...but it doesn't hurt.

I presume you're asking about IM programs.

Most of the competitive fellowships (eg cardio) expect a fourth year of Chief residency, and the folks I've known who were chiefs were all doing it for this reason.

Isn't cardiology long enough without requiring another year of training? I was under the impression it was 3 years internal medicine + 3 years cardiology fellowship. Add on 1-2 years for EP or Interventional if one desires to go that route. So now you're saying 4 years Internal medicine just to land a cards fellowship? Is that just for the most competitive programs or what? This whole delayed gratification thing is getting a bit ridiculous... :mad: