Child/Adolescent Psychiatry residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yagna9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just one question, Is C&A psych matching, for a medical student, done through ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

just one question, Is C&A psych matching, for a medical student, done through ERAS?

You need to apply to the general adult programs first. There are a few programs that have a "combined" adult/C&A residency. However, even those programs have you apply to their general adult progam and you can express your interest in Child psych then. The only exception that I know of is the UMass program.

I really appreciate the response. Once I reply on ERAS to the general programs, does it automatically give options for certain schools to combo C&A, or does it not/its a separate program based thing? I actually have written my personal statement focusing on C&A, so hopefully I will not have to change it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the response. Once I reply on ERAS to the general programs, does it automatically give options for certain schools to combo C&A, or does it not/its a separate program based thing? I actually have written my personal statement focusing on C&A, so hopefully I will not have to change it.

No problem. I don't believe any of the combined programs have that as an option. The one exception may be Yale; but the combined program is very research oriented. You'll have to look into that. The rest of the programs you'll have to do research by going to their web-sites and seeing if they offer a combined program. As far as I know, there are only a few. Regardless, you still apply to their Adult program and then tell them of your interest. A lot of those programs are not official combined programs like Med-Peds, Family-Psych, or whatever. They really are more like tracks with an unofficial guarantee that you'll be admitted to their fellowship, assuming you hold your weight as a resident. The only exceptions that I know of are UMass and Yale. With those programs, you match directly into the child program. But, at least last year, with UMass you still submit your ERAS for the adult program and then tell them you want to apply to the child program. You might want to verify that with the PD at UMass, though.

The combined programs that I know of are: Pitt, Brown, Penn State, Indiana?, UMass, Yale, and Institute of Living/Hartford Hosp....There might be more.

"They really are more like tracks with an unofficial guarantee that you'll be admitted to their fellowship, assuming you hold your weight as a resident"

-Is it still 6 years then with these unofficial programs, or are they 5 years. Also, should I keep my personal statement focused on child psych primarily?

"They really are more like tracks with an unofficial guarantee that you'll be admitted to their fellowship, assuming you hold your weight as a resident"

-Is it still 6 years then with these unofficial programs, or are they 5 years. Also, should I keep my personal statement focused on child psych primarily?

A combined program would be 5 years.

Regarding your statement, IMHO, I think it is good to write about what your passions are in psychiatry. If that means C&A, then that is what you should write about. I had, and still have, a strong interest in child psych. However, I kept my statement a bit more broad about why I wanted to go into psychiatry and made a reference about child psych in one of my final paragraphs. The reason being is that I have many interests in psychiatry and just knew psychiatry in general, whether working with adults or children, was the right field. I think that is something you'll have to work out. The most important thing is to write a statement that reflects you and not write something you think someone else wants to hear. I suggest talking to the PD of psychiatry at your medical school about this for more advice.

Hope that helps!

I mostly agree with Maranatha except for the "unofficial guarantee" part. I think that many of the combined programs are a pretty official guarantee of a spot. When in doubt, always, ALWAYS contact the programs you are looking at and ask them how best to apply to the combined track. This doesn't really become essential until match time when you have to make sure you are entering the proper code into NRMP, but you can always verify that at your interviews and thru contact w/ programs in Jan just before you submit your rank order list.

As to the personal statement, I knew I wanted to do child psych so my PS was pretty heavily focused on that (although I did mention broadly why I was drawn to psych in general). It made it much easier when I then had to apply for my C&A fellowship. Cut and paste is a beautiful thing... Good luck!