Child Care Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently volunteering at a institute that deals solely with child developmental and learning disorders, from diagnostics to treatment to every other need in between. The severity of cases varies between kids and can be challenging to work here sometimes, but I've become quite interested in volunteering here until I can hopefully go to medical school. Despite loving the experience so much so far, I'm worried that this experience won't be viewed equally compared to a more "traditional" clinical experience.

I help out with cleaning and chores half the time and chaperon the kids if their parents need some one-on-one time with the physician. I also get to observe cases pretty frequently and have a chance to ask the physician some questions, given that he/she is not busy of course.

Instinctively, I would categorize this as any other clinical experience, just that the field is different. I mean, I get direct contact with patients, time to shadow physicians, and I could definitely talk passionately about my experience if the topic were to come up in interviews. Does this experience hit all the "boxes" it should? I need to be able to manage my time effectively in the future and could give this up, despite loving it so much. I would just like to hear other people's thoughts and any insight they may have from personal experience.

Free feel to add any points I have possibly overlooked!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently volunteering at a institute that deals solely with child developmental and learning disorders, from diagnostics to treatment to every other need in between. The severity of cases varies between kids and can be challenging to work here sometimes, but I've become quite interested in volunteering here until I can hopefully go to medical school. Despite loving the experience so much so far, I'm worried that this experience won't be viewed equally compared to a more "traditional" clinical experience.

I help out with cleaning and chores half the time and chaperon the kids if their parents need some one-on-one time with the physician. I also get to observe cases pretty frequently and have a chance to ask the physician some questions, given that he/she is not busy of course.

Instinctively, I would categorize this as any other clinical experience, just that the field is different. I mean, I get direct contact with patients, time to shadow physicians, and I could definitely talk passionately about my experience if the topic were to come up in interviews. Does this experience hit all the "boxes" it should? I need to be able to manage my time effectively in the future and could give this up, despite loving it so much. I would just like to hear other people's thoughts and any insight they may have from personal experience.

Free feel to add any points I have possibly overlooked!
I wouldn't describe this as "child care" since you are in a clinical environment, witnessing medical care being administered. I don't think, from what you describe, there is any doubt this is clinical experience. I would get in some additional "traditional" shadowing just to be able to say you have some in primary care, but other than that, I don't think you need to worry about this not fitting the "clinical" category.

I would have some reservations with this as "clinical" as it seems more "clinical psychology" than "clinical pediatrics". If there are children with profound physical disabilities (wheelchairs, feeding tubes) it leans a bit more on the pediatric side. I would suggest getting some experiences with the clinical care of adults and in a more traditional ambulatory setting (outpatient clinic) or inpatient facility (hospital), to round out your exposure to medicine.