Child Neurology vs. Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkhan1031

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I am wrapping up my 3rd year just about, on my last core clerkship, peds. I was sure that I was going to do neurology for the longest time and pretty much have set myself up for it. However, I have found that I really am enjoying peds, in particular working with kids, and I am now wondering if child neuro is the way to go.
My reasons for liking peds neuro:
- Like I said, I like working with kids. I don't know if this is good enough reason to go with peds neuro though.
- the patient pop. is a little more treatable in my opinion vs. patient pop. in adult neuro

The biggest issue is that it is its own residency pretty much and I would have to decide now. I can't do a neurology residency and then a fellowship in peds neuro, which is what I would ideally like to do. It is pretty nerve wracking because I feel like its a last minute choice since 3rd year is ending...
I am doing a week on child neuro and trying to get a feel for it currently.

I basically just wanted to know why people chose child neurology, was it primarily an interest in peds or neuro? I know in reality its both, but if there was a preference, I'd like to know. Also do those who are going into adult neuro think there are benefits over peds neuro? What are the drawbacks to child neuro? Any other thoughts or comments would be really helpful, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really interested in neuro too, but I have no experience with working with kids. I'm really hoping I like peds because I think pediatric neurology would be so much more fulfilling. I'm mostly interested in epilepsy and kids are so much more likely to grow out of it and I wouldn't have to deal with things like employment and drivers licenses as much. Adult neurology with an epilepsy fellowship would be a bunch of people that have had it for a while and then a lot of people with seizures from TBIs, cancer, etc. which at this point in time we don't have a ton of answers for so it's just maintenance for the most part.

All of the pediatric neurologists I've talked to did it because they like kids and it's more treatable just as you said. The only drawbacks from my current understanding are a pay cut and an extra year of residency. But at the end of the day it's all about whether or not you feel fulfilled not how much money you make or how long it took you to get there.

Go with your gut!

I'm really interested in neuro too, but I have no experience with working with kids. I'm really hoping I like peds because I think pediatric neurology would be so much more fulfilling. I'm mostly interested in epilepsy and kids are so much more likely to grow out of it and I wouldn't have to deal with things like employment and drivers licenses as much. Adult neurology with an epilepsy fellowship would be a bunch of people that have had it for a while and then a lot of people with seizures from TBIs, cancer, etc. which at this point in time we don't have a ton of answers for so it's just maintenance for the most part.

All of the pediatric neurologists I've talked to did it because they like kids and it's more treatable just as you said. The only drawbacks from my current understanding are a pay cut and an extra year of residency. But at the end of the day it's all about whether or not you feel fulfilled not how much money you make or how long it took you to get there.

Go with your gut!

Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Its just so strange to me that you can't do child neuro through a fellowship after neuro residency. Thats honestly what I think I'd prefer. I've liked my time so far on child neuro but its hard to make a decision based off those few days. very much on the fence still. I think for you, you need to confirm that you love pediatrics and kids in general. Its definitely a different interview approach, you rely more on the parents and have to have a good bit of patience with some patients, esp. the hyperactive ones. But if you have the personality for it, then its pretty good.
I know I love neuro, but now its deciding what patient pop. I want to work with... good luck with your decisions as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The developmental issues surrounding children make it hard to go from adults down to kids in that field. Adult neurology residents generally have no time with kids at all, and so it's different than even surgical residencies where there is at least one pediatric rotation.

It's probably not what you're looking for, but it is also possible to do a pediatrics residency and then go into peds neuro, but that ends up being 6 years instead of 5 for the triple board programs.

You also have more time to make a decision than you think. It would be entirely reasonable at this point to apply to both neuro and peds neuro programs, setting up interviews on both sides which would allow you to hone in on what you actually prefer. Obviously do rotations as you're able to, and the only real decision you have to make is on your rank list. You may find out sooner rather than later that you really prefer one patient population over the other and would cancel your interviews, or you can do all you interviews and go by what feels best when it's time to rank.

It would be entirely reasonable at this point to apply to both neuro and peds neuro programs, setting up interviews on both sides which would allow you to hone in on what you actually prefer.
Honest question from a dumb second year: isn't it bad if the programs found out you were applying to two? I would assume the neuro and peds neuro departments within a certain program would know a lot about each other, and whether applicants were pursuing both. Or is it only disingenuous to pursue two specialties if they are really different from each other?

So I have always liked neurology and just this year (my third year) I have started considering pediatric neurology. I too wish it was possible to do a neurology residency with a pediatric fellowship. One of the things that draws me more towards pediatrics is the genetic diseases, which you don't see a lot of in the adult population. However, I plan on doing audition rotations in both neurology and pediatric neurology, then maybe I will determine which I prefer. I also plan on applying to both residencies.