child psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hear the outlook on child psychiatry is bright. i had a few questions:

1. what kind of psychiatric diseases will a child pyschiatrist be presented with?
2. what is the average salary range upon completion of residency?
3. this is a subjective question, but is this a stressful specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

As for what types of conditions you'll be presented with, i'm sure eating disorders will be on the rise a a major concern for the teenage population. Also, bipolar, adhd, behavioral problems (referred from elsewhere), trauma (abuse, etc.). I've personally had a lot of experience with mental illness (family, friends, etc.). My brother developed schizophrenia early on in college, but I've known of others who've developed it as early as junior high and high school. My roommate has bipolar, and was diagnosed at a very earlier age (responded well to Lithium). I think child psychiatry would be interesting, satisfying, and challenging all in one.

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Conduct Disorder

Autism

Physical/Sexual Abuse

Learning Disabilities

Obesity

With regard to obesity and other medical illnesses, there's quite a bit of literature documenting the emergence of psychosomatic medicine/consultation-liaison psychiatry as a subspecialty branch of psychiatry. It'd be interesting to see how this affects child and adolescent psychiatry.

Cheers,

PH