Child Psychiatry 2017-2018 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody find out where they matched ? .

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't seem any email went out today (at least myself and others I know didn't get any email), but the results are available in NRMP.

Matched my second ranked program, was a toss up between the first two so not dissapointed. So thrilled to now officially be on my way to becoming a child psychiatrist!! Hopefully everyone got the news they were hoping for today.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I'm hearing, there were over 90 unfilled positions--many at great programs.
So if anyone is thinking about changing their mind and jumping in...
Yep, My PD mentioned 100 unfilled spots with only abt a dozen unmatched candidates...there seems to be less of us marching this year for CAP

From what I'm hearing, there were over 90 unfilled positions--many at great programs.
So if anyone is thinking about changing their mind and jumping in...
Is there any way to find out where didn't fill? One of my classmates is having late regrets about not fast-tracking.

Happy to have matched my number 2 choice. Now the move begins.

To the programs that didn't fill, I think many of them could have avoided that had they been more realistic about how many interviews/candidates they ranked. But I do agree, that there seemed to be less interest in Child psych this year compared to years prior when I talked to other candidates.

Congratulations to everyone!

I matched at my third choice, which happened to be my first choice until I panic reranked at the last second! So...I'm thrilled because it's where I thought was the best fit and had the best training even if it lacked the prestige of the other two I ranked above it.

But I do agree, that there seemed to be less interest in Child psych this year compared to years prior when I talked to other candidates.
Does this have anything to do with the rumored advancement of general psychiatry salaries? I don't have anything factual to point to for this... Perhaps there needs to be less resistance to fast tracking...

Is there any way to find out where didn't fill? One of my classmates is having late regrets about not fast-tracking.

Apparently there were a few top programs (Boston Children's, Brown, UCs?) that didn't completely fill this year. Baffling!

Any reviews on Emory? My friend who’s changed his mind& now wants to fast-track is interested in applying to couple of the unfilled programs, Emory being one of them. Atlanta seems to be a cool city to live but couldn’t find any info about the program itself over here. Any inpus are deeply appreciated!

Apparently there were a few top programs (Boston Children's, Brown, UCs?) that didn't completely fill this year. Baffling!

Lots of great programs didn’t fill this year; and it’s completelt shocking compared to previous rank lists! If any of your colleagues are having second thoughts and thinking about diving in, there are over 100 unfilled spots across the country, and a major need! Encourage, encourage, encourage!!!

Lots of great programs didn’t fill this year; and it’s completelt shocking compared to previous rank lists! If any of your colleagues are having second thoughts and thinking about diving in, there are over 100 unfilled spots across the country, and a major need! Encourage, encourage, encourage!!!
People are seeing that it no longer financially makes sense to lose that year of real salary because child no longer pays significantly more than general. The time of having to deal with (at least) two patients for each one patient also does not help.
It would be nice if they would make child a one year program. It truly does not take two years (after general residency) to learn how to be a competent child psychiatrist. A few years ago I heard rumors that they might make it one year; has anyone else heard this?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ That would really be ideal. Most of the fourth year, if not all of it, of psychiatry is elective time. I don't understand why psychiatry is a longer residency than internal, family, or peds. Makes no sense.

People are seeing that it no longer financially makes sense to lose that year of real salary because child no longer pays significantly more than general. The time of having to deal with (at least) two patients for each one patient also does not help.
It would be nice if they would make child a one year program. It truly does not take two years (after general residency) to learn how to be a competent child psychiatrist. A few years ago I heard rumors that they might make it one year; has anyone else heard this?

Where did you hear this? I am fast tracking into child. But I am going to be very upset if they change it from 2 years to 1 year. I love working with children, but I will not be happy if the requirements change, that means I lose a year. It took me a lot of convincing to put paying back my loans on hold too.

^ That would really be ideal. Most of the fourth year, if not all of it, of psychiatry is elective time. I don't understand why psychiatry is a longer residency than internal, family, or peds. Makes no sense.
its to account for psychotherapy training. I suppose at programs that dont provide therapy training the 4th yr is a waste of time but with psychotherapy training it is not and the only way you could get training in long-term psychotherapy.

also historically, psychiatry was a 3 yr residency preceded by a full intern yr. Personally, I think that psychiatry should go back to having a full intern yr instead of just 6 months of med/neuro but the reason they diluted it so much was to attract more people to do psychiatry so it doesn't seem like an attractive prospective for applicants. only a few programs offer 6 months of medicine nowadays.

Hi everyone, I am current a PGY-3 general psychiatry resident in an ACGME residency program. I did not participate in the child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship match this year. I am currently seriously regretting that decision. Does anyone know of any program that’s currently recruiting for child and adolescent fellows for their unfilled spots? I would really appreciate any inputs.

Hi everyone, I am current a PGY-3 general psychiatry resident in an ACGME residency program. I did not participate in the child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship match this year. I am currently seriously regretting that decision. Does anyone know of any program that’s currently recruiting for child and adolescent fellows for their unfilled spots? I would really appreciate any inputs.
There are about 100 spots--just ask around in the region you want to end up.

I'm a bit baffled by the number of unfilled positions. Do some programs not rank everyone they interview?

I'm a bit baffled by the number of unfilled positions. Do some programs not rank everyone they interview?

There aren't enough applicants to fill all the positions. It is a very uncompetitive fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

There aren't enough applicants to fill all the positions. It is a very uncompetitive fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It seemed like on the interviews I went to a fair number of ppl were applying.

Hi everyone, I matched to child psychiatry and want to get input on whether altering the remainder of my electives this year (4th year) to do some electives in child would count toward required child rotations in fellowship?

To give some insight into why there is not much interest in Child. I'll give my example.

Although I did like working with children, I found that there was a lot of educating in Child Psychiatry when it comes to talking to parents. I found that I would not get reimbursed for that time and this made the decision to not do fellowship even stronger. Also, I would be losing out on one more year of income and another year of increasing the interest on my loans. I just felt that it made most sense for me to move on with my life and focus on starting a family. Another year after so many years in training just seemed too much of a burden to me.

Hi guys! Didn’t think it was worth posting a new thread on this, but for the upcoming cycle when will ERAS open for us to start inputing our info? Is the first submission date July 15th? Thanks!

Hi guys! Didn’t think it was worth posting a new thread on this, but for the upcoming cycle when will ERAS open for us to start inputing our info? Is the first submission date July 15th? Thanks!
Same here! Not sure where to start. So it is only ERAS and NRMP, same as residency?

I feel like doing child psych is definitely not financially lucrative at all. In fact, I'm missing out on a lot of moonlighting opportunities as a CAF 1 as I am sometimes on busy rotations.