child psychiatry vs child neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student08643

Reaction score
what's the main difference and pros/cons between the two? I'm debating which one to apply to for residency and am torn.

Members don't see this ad.

what's the main difference and pros/cons between the two? I'm debating which one to apply to for residency and am torn.

The differences is enormous. Child neurology involves diagnosing and treating a lot of seizure disorders as a prominent component and is firmly in a medical model with significant use of special investigations such as EEG, LP and MRI. Child psychiatry involves an inductive clinical process than leads more to a descriptive formulation that diagnosis and treatment involves family engagement, therapeutic communication, and careful use of medication.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My experience with CAP (as the rotation was embedded into my gen psych residency)— it can be very time consuming, can Involve gathering tons of collateral, and you need to interview parents and kids (which can double your work)... viewing child neuro from the outside, yes, it seemed much more straightforward as far as not having to do so much leg work for a given patient.

My experience with CAP (as the rotation was embedded into my gen psych residency)— it can be very time consuming, can Involve gathering tons of collateral, and you need to interview parents and kids (which can double your work)... viewing child neuro from the outside, yes, it seemed much more straightforward as far as not having to do so much leg work for a given patient.

Until you do a med rec on a kid with Dravet syndrome....

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I have skewed views of the fields but it’s hard to think of any two fields in peds that are more different. In child neuro large percent of patients have horribly debilitating chronic illnesses with many comorbidities and little prospect of improvement despite complex management. In child psych probably half the patients you can treat with a single (or no) medication and see dramatic improvements.

I would say the two are worlds apart, if anything Dev Peds and child psych are closer together