1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

children and medical school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by eanisis78, Jul 31, 2006.

1. eanisis78

eanisis78 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi
    Does anyone know if having children, as a woman, is a possibility during medical school or residency. Specifically if there is any maternity leave before or after, if you have to make up the time.... especially if it during 3rd and 4th year rotations.
    Just curious if there were specific rules. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks so much!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureNavyDOc

FutureNavyDOc Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I definitely know it is possible especially with a good supporting husband and extended family. 2 women in my class had babies during second year and another 3 are due this summer. Additionally, I know a recent graduate who just had a baby a month or so before graduation.

You'd have to check with your school and/or internship/rotation for specific rules though, I kind of doubt they can legally tell you that you aren't allowed to get pregnant. Also, having the baby during a time period where there is a break built in to the schedule would provide maternity leave without having to ask for it. i.e. DMU has 2 months off during summer after 2nd year.

Good Luck!

4. Tori's dad

Tori's dad Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Perhaps a better question would be is it possible to be a mother to your children while attending medical school/residency.

And only you can answer this one, I'm just pointing out the question.

5. vegangirl

vegangirl DOctor begins with DO
    7+ Year Member

One girl in my class had a baby. And two girls in the class above mine are PG. In addition, I have 2 friends with kids (both males). so yes it is possible.

6. Tori's dad

Tori's dad Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Having a baby is a physical possiblity yes, as long as a qualified OB or nurse midwife tells you you are healthy enough for it. Being a mother is quite another story. Many people have had mothers who worked and they will tell you that they were fine and had wonderful childhoods. I don't disagree that this happens. I'm just asking the op how she feels about being one of these mothers.

7. peppy

peppy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You may want to cehck out http://www.mommd.com
    While I'm not a mother myself, I've met/heard of plenty of women having kids during med school. Since DO schools tend to have more older students on average, they seem to be pretty accepting of student parents in general.
    Some schools will allow you to take a lighter courseload in order to give you more time with your family without having to take a leave of absence...check into how your specific school handles it.
    Once I adjusted to the workload and figured out what methods were most efficient for me (like listening to the lectures at home instead of attending class), I had a surprisingly decent amount of free time during this first year.

Times have changed and things are getting a lot more "family friendly" with the large number of women in upper level education nowadays. The only specialty that still seems to be pretty difficult for working mothers is surgery. Of course, the surgery lifestyle is pretty hard by *anyone's* standards.

8. eanisis78

eanisis78 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the advice..
    it is just hard b/c i am an older student and i figured i would maybe have kids during residency but my obgyn felt that if she had to do it over again to have children in med school when you can actually physically and emotionally handle it better. so i figure i would ask. I should have went to med school 7 years ago!!!!!!!!! but se la veee

9. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :rolleyes:

10. jrf331

jrf331 Back ROW
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well I am a guy, but my wife and I had a child durning first year and our school was great working with us. I had to make up anything that I missed but they were great about it all. I have spoken with many resedencies about the whole having kids thing and they recommended to do it during med school, because having kids during resedency can make it really hard on everyone else that have to cover your shifts and on-call schedule. But if you don't care about other peoples schedules then have kids whenever.

11. Vox Animo

Vox Animo Runs with Scissors
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    did anyone else think "child doctors?, no way." when they read the title?

12. Vox Animo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think more people should prepared to answer, could you have and care for a child with disabilities during medical school and residency. Much more difficult that a healthy child, even though a healthy child is almost too much to handle.

13. pink

pink Junior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a baby at the end of my first year. I am now an intern and I have a precious 3 year old. I did not take any time off. It is incredibly challenging, but there is no good time to have a child. It will always be hard. It will always alter your perceptions and priorities. Definitely check out mommd.com. It is the best place to find answers and support. That website was a lifesaver for me when I found out I was pregnant only 2 months into medical school! There are plenty of women there dealing with the same issues you are. Also, despite the name there are plenty of D.O's as well as women who aren't yet moms!

14. jbod34

jbod34 Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a 4th year and just had a beautiful baby boy 6 weeks ago. I took 4 weeks of maternity leave and my school has been exceptionally good at working with me. It really boils down to what is more important in your life. Medicine was the world to me and my #1 priority until I got pregnant. Especially when I saw my son's face. I would give up medicine in a heart beat if I had to. Keep your family #1 and everything will work out. If you find a program that dosen't value family as much as you do you really want to be a part of it?

I think that rotations are the best time to have kids b/c your schedule is very flexible and you aren't liable for what happens at work so you can aim your responsibilities to your child.

food for thought

15. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I also had my daughter between 1st and 2nd year and I didn't take time off. Even if I wasn't in medical school I probably would not have taken time off or much time off - I am not the stay at home mom type. Some women thrive in that environment, I know I don't. I had no problems being a good mother - It is more difficult this year because I am doing a surgery internship - but my 3 year old isn't dealing crack yet. She has lot of people to love her and validate her loveworthiness! If you wait for the 'perfect' time to have kids you will never have them. I think that having them during the first half of medical school is really convenient if you don't have mandatory attendance.

16. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

speaking as a mother of a disabled child: there's no way to know this until it happens. and the truth is, you make it work. because you have to. And in truth a very small minority of babies are born with disabilities. One might also ask if they think they can be a good mother if a safe falls on their head one day?

I'll be going through school with a 1 year old and 3 year old and will have another baby during residency. motherhood is something you figure out along the way. it's not easy for anyone. just leap off the bridge when you come to it :thumbup:

17. Vox Animo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Very true. I am at a higher risk for this than the average person, so i condsider the vacation to holland story seriously. You can make it work, but i just think back on my childhood, i have a sibling that had a multitude of issues when she was younger, and all the things my mom had to sacrifice in order to make sure she had everything she needed. My mom still has to have a job that allows her to leave whenever she needs and my sibling is an adult. You are right that this is a rather arbitrary fear, but it is something that i think all people planning a pregnancy should consider.

18. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Point taken. I think those of us in Holland like to think of it as a non-issue as often as possible. But it of course does make a difference, especially if your child is more involved than my son. I was really paranoid with my second pregnancy (1st baby is disabled) so I have a very active mindset now of NOT thinking about such future possibilities. But you're right that when you make a big committment like medicine and then another like parenting, you have to consider all the possible outcome. Mea culpa :)