children in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka1999

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student who is a single parent of two. I have no financial help. What is the typical med student budget for a single mom is it enough to take care of 2 kids on. Is the hours in medical school regular or sporadic. Is it possible to have kids and do good in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmmm... I'm not a parent, but I do have some friends in med school that are. My friends have MADE it work -- most of them work like CRAZY during the week (4+ hours of studying per day in addition to class) in order to take weekends off to spend with their children. All of them have a spouse that works in a nonmedical field, and that seems to be immensely helpful. It's not impossible!

As far as your financial situation, if you have absolutely NO money now (or are paying for undergrad by yourself), your wealth won't change much during med school. You'll be taking out heavy-duty loans to cover both your education and your family's upbringing. If you don't mind being in debt, it may be possible.

One thing that is certain -- I would NOT recommend telling your interviewers about your family life. It's possible you will be discriminated against because of your situation. Heck, I told an interviewer that I might want to TEACH for 10-15 hours per week and she snapped at me, telling me it might not be a good idea.

Good luck!

I think it's great that you have the courage to go such a hard route with kids in tow!
smile.gif
Yes, it will be tough...you won't be able to work...but if you can stand being in a lot of debt, go for it. As I stated in another post, there are ways to alleviate most, if not all of the loan debt through military or by serving in underserved areas. If you go to the AAMC site (www.aamc.org) you can get some more info on this type of loan relief. Good Luck!