Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Chile Grants Licensure to US-Trained DO
Speaking of opening doors, the AOA is proud to announce that the first US-trained DO has been granted licensure in Chile. After many years of working with Chilean health officials to provide documentation and evidence of DOs’ education, training, and practice rights, Patrick Wedlake, DO, has been awarded licensure to practice medicine in Chile. The examination process includes a basic science written exam, followed by a clinical science written exam and subsequent clinical competencies of one week each in obstetrics/gynecology, surgery, internal medicine and pediatrics. While the licensure process is work-intensive, we are proud that another country now recognizes US-trained DOs as physicians.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
President Ajluni Prepares for International Collaboration
AOA President Peter B. Ajluni, DO, is at AOA Headquarters in Chicago today to meet with AOA senior staff and myself in preparation for his upcoming trip to Jordan. President Ajluni and Barbara Ross-Lee, DO, of the New York Institute of Technology – New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYCOM), will visit the Jordan University of Science and Technology, a partner school of NYCOM, for the schools’ Sixth Medical Conference of Faculty of Medicine this week to promote the osteopathic medical profession worldwide. President Ajluni will give two presentations to support this goal, one on the US-model of osteopathic medicine and medical education, and the other on complex wrist fractures, with which he is familiar as an osteopathic orthopedic surgeon. This international collaborative trip hopes to open more doors for US-trained DOs in the Middle East.

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Speaking of opening doors, the AOA is proud to announce that the first US-trained DO has been granted licensure in Chile. After many years of working with Chilean health officials to provide documentation and evidence of DOs’ education, training, and practice rights, Patrick Wedlake, DO, has been awarded licensure to practice medicine in Chile. The examination process includes a basic science written exam, followed by a clinical science written exam and subsequent clinical competencies of one week each in obstetrics/gynecology, surgery, internal medicine and pediatrics. While the licensure process is work-intensive, we are proud that another country now recognizes US-trained DOs as physicians.
:thumbup::clap:

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Jeebus Christ! A basic science exam? I don't wanna go to Chile if I have to study the Kreb's Cycle again. What the heck??

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i dont know too much about DOs practicing internationally....except that you can go on internatinoal rotations during 4th year if you choose to. im assuming that if you are alowd to rotate internationally, the country you are at recognizes the DO degree as = to MD.

so how common is it for a country to not allow US trained DOs to practice medicine?

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dont know too much about DOs practicing internationally....except that you can go on internatinoal rotations during 4th year if you choose to. im assuming that if you are alowd to rotate internationally, the country you are at recognizes the DO degree as = to MD.

so how common is it for a country to not allow US trained DOs to practice medicine?

World map of international practice rights of U.S. trained D.O.s

Green: Practice rights generally recognized as equal to U.S.-M.D.s
Olive: Unlimited practice rights granted, but difficult to obtain
Red: Limited to manipulation-only
Gray: Unknown or previously denied

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MD or DO, you can't just waltz into any country and start practicing. The way we make FMGs jump through hoops? Every country has its own hoops.

Every new country that gets added to the map signifies that the first DO is practicing there. What that means for the next DO is that the hoops have been identified as the same hoops as for MDs.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Jeebus Christ! A basic science exam? I don't wanna go to Chile if I have to study the Kreb's Cycle again. What the heck??
Hahaha ... hopefully they didn't mean that far back. Otherwise this guy better start reviewing acid-base chemistry and building phylogenetic trees asap.

JAG to Doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]

flumazenil

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jagger, by basic science exam i think he is referring to the first 2 years of medical school. So in that case, acid-base, and KRebs could be on that..

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hahaha ... hopefully they didn't mean that far back. Otherwise this guy better start reviewing acid-base chemistry and building phylogenetic trees asap.
You're not kidding! I'm assuming by "basic science" exam they mean medical school basic science. No tree phylogeny questions to be sure but Kreb's, coagulation cascade and all the other evil pathways be damned. I'm not doing that again. Shiznit...I wouldn't even do that again for USA practice rights.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You're not kidding! I'm assuming by "basic science" exam they mean medical school basic science. No tree phylogeny questions to be sure but Kreb's, coagulation cascade and all the other evil pathways be damned. I'm not doing that again. Shiznit...I wouldn't even do that again for USA practice rights.
Hahah, yeah I was assuming that 'basic science' meant med school only. I'm also glad to hear that a resident never wants to touch something like Kreb's again because it is not my favorite either.

JAG to Doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a pizza delivery boy! I'm a fraud, man. Just like you! Who's been to Santiago, Chilie twice on one year, man?
Husband... negative. Children and a Labrador... negative. Tight little package... affirmative.

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
chile is awesome! i did my study abroad there. i was only in santiago briefly though..
Did you happen to see my Celinto Catayente Towers. "It's quite a fine example, in fact. I recommend that next time you're up that way that you drop in and take a gander at it yourself."

JAG to Doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did you happen to see my Celinto Catayente Towers. "It's quite a fine example, in fact. I recommend that next time you're up that way that you drop in and take a gander at it yourself."
Did you study under Kim Greene?