Chiquitas: earrings/hair for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennaB4MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling all long-haired ladies out there...what do you do with your hair for an interview? Mine is fine, stringy blonde hair that's about shoulder length, and there's no way I can just leave it down like I do every other day because by the end of the day it will just be a stringy mess. Any ideas?

Also, earrings. I have 3 piercings in one ear and 2 in the other. I was planning on wearing just one in each ear, but I've heard you shouldn't wear any jewelry at all...any input?

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have long hair, halfway down my back, and I wore it down all day. I just took a brush with me and combed it before my interview. I have three earrings in one ear and 2 in the other also. I wore tasteful small hoops in my first hole and diamond studs in the other ones, plus a small stud in my cartilage. Of course my hair covered them up so....Half and half of the girls had their hair up or down. Everyone had on jewlery. I wouldn't recommend too much. The general rule is don't have more pieces of jewlery total than you can count on both hands, including a watch. As far as I can tell as long as you look professional you are okay! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore my long hair twisted into a bun (god, that sounds so middle-aged!) at the nape of my neck and held in place with one of those cool lacquered wooden sticks (unlike my usual No. 2 pencil trick). I didn't want to have to deal with brushing it several times during my stay at a school (some schools have you interview with more than one person). I wore pearl earrings (didn't have the problem of multiple piercings). Everyone had on jewelry. But I would think jewelry is optional except for a watch.

I have longish, straight, fine hair too...I most likely will wear half of it pulled up and held with some simple barette or plain rubber band type thing, so that the front pieces stay out of my face. I look 12 years old with all of my hair pulled up, and it gets stringy and in the way if I wear it totally down.
Is there a rule about earrings? Not that I would wear anything gaudy or big, but are small, simple ones okay to wear? My first interview is later this month and these threads are all so helpful.
All you guys out there, you don't realize how lucky you are!!!

i think earrings-- small, simple, non flashy ones-- are fine. i plan on wearing pearls or silver balls or something like that. i think that as long as you don't have 10 holes in each ear (i see nothing wrong w/2, but i'm no expert), and aren't wearing long or distracting earrings, you'll be fine. :D

i don't plan to take off any jewlery for my interview, except my anklets (they jingle a little). but i've been wearing my bangles and earrings forever. my bangles are thin and gold...nothing loud, one on each hand. and my earrings SLIGHTLY dangle below the earlobe and are gold/diamond. they look delicate and small, and i get a lot of nice comments :) i would feel totally naked without these, especially earrings.

think it's going to be a big deal?

i also have long hair, which i'm going to straighten and pull back in a braid.

anyone have good suggestions for taming the small wisps of hair that dont behave (flyaways)? i don't want a gelled out look :)

btw, does anyone else think it's crazy and sexist that pantsuits can be considered "unprofessional?"

saiyagirl-- i think your jewlery will be fine. wear what you feel comfortable in. sorry i can't help you with the flyaways problem-- i'm battling it myself! ahhh...the joys of curly hair and humidity!!

i think this crap about pantsuits on women being unprofessional is just that-- crap. my mom is the most professional woman i know-- she's an asst. dean at duke med center. she wears pantsuits all the time, and they look great on her. wear what you feel more comfortable in. if you're more comfortable in pants, wear pants. if you'd rather wear a skirt, then by all means wear a skirt. you'll look better and more professional in whatever makes you feel better.

:( it's going to be 92 degrees and humid on the day of my first interview (4 more days...EEK!)...and i have the whole long, wavy hair thing. i would straighten it, but it'll curl in the humidity anyway. <sigh> i think i'm just going to pull some of it back and then since my interview is in the AM, put it in a braid before the tour. that way it'll be off of my back, but i don't have to look like a 16 year old all day long.

I have 4 holes in one ear and 3 in the other....i'm only keeping in the first pair. they are small silver hoops. I think they are conservative and go with my suit. i'm wearing a ring and a watch, and that's it jewelry wise. pretty tame for me!! maybe a necklace, but who knows.

i'm spazzing on my suit...i think the skirt is an inch too short, but i don't have time to go shopping for another one, and i just stained my shell (i wore it to a mock interview).... ok, gonna go do laundry now!

good luck, les filles!

Originally posted by saiyagirl

btw, does anyone else think it's crazy and sexist that pantsuits can be considered "unprofessional?"

Heck yeah!!! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this.

I tend to have a lot of flyaways myself. I tend to shed more hair than most people, so my hair is usually full of flyaways. A good solution I found to taming these things is to put a tiny bit of lotion in the palm of my hand, rub both my hands together, and run my fingers through my hair. It seems to calm down the dryness that tends to make them stand up without weighing it down too much.

I plan on wearing my hair either down (curled under at ends) or up (in a fancy claw clip) depending on what the weather will be like. Too bad I haven't been invited for an interview yet!