Chiro Applying to Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lugnut

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a first timer on this site. Here's my deal. I am a 34 year old chiropractor in CT. I have been in practice for 8 years and have built a successful multi-specialty clinic with Ortho's, chiros and PT's. Some people think I am crazy for wanting to go back and get an MD after I have already been through most of the coursework. To be truthful, I have enjoyed being a chiropractor, but feel limited in my scope. I feel like I have a ferrari in the garage, but can't take it for a spin.

I plan on applying next year. I will take the MCAT in April 05. I have a B.S in Biology with a GPA of about 3.2. I graduated in 1995 from one of the most medically reputable chiro schools with a GPA of 3.5.

I have tons of post-grad training as well as clinical experience working side by side with internists and Ortho surgeons. I am in the process of lining up volunteer and research work in the local Hospitals. As far as my D.C degree and GPA, do these carry any weight in the application process. I had three semesters of gross anatomy as well as undergrad and Chiro school credits in Biochem, embryology, genetics, physiology,pathology, etc. I'm not looking for advanced standing, just consideration of my chiro coursework in the Application process.

Any thoughts on kicking but on the MCAT first time, considering I have not seen the basic sciences in over ten years.

Your thoughts are appreciated
Lugnut

P.S No chiro bashing. Thats My job!

Members don't see this ad.

Lugnut,

I think your background will be a great addition to your application, however I am not aware of any special consideration you will get when it comes to the application process. Your DC and undergrad science courses will all factor into your AMCAS gpa the same as everyone elses. Also, another note that I have picked up is that adcoms generally like to see more recent coursework than 10 years old. I would suggest calling up the admissions office at your state school and asking what they recommend, and what they would like to see, but it would be too bad to get rejected because of this -- I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested you take a couple basic science courses before applying. Your chiro experience and training probably will gain you some support subjectively from adcoms who recognize you've completed classes at the same level of difficulty they expect in med school, but you'll still have to take the classes with your classmates (except they'll be easier for you than they will be for the majority of other students).

As far as the MCAT, what I found most useful was to take a bazillion practice tests (from the AAMC, test books, Kaplan books I borrowed from friends, etc.) -- anything I could get my hands on.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps -- Good luck!

As someone who also took the MCAT 10+ years after the coursework, I recommend a review course. It is an organized way to brush up on everything (and you feel committed to it because they aren't cheap ;)). Also, it'll give you access to a bunch of practice tests (which you need to do as many of as you can).

Other than that, as MNgrrl suggested, you should call some admissions offices to see if they'll want you to retake any old coursework. Good luck. :)