• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Choice: Gap Year vs. Business Graduate Degree

HugeCavities

Aug 18, 2019
  1. Pre-Dental
My university has just added a new program: Graduate Degree in (Business) Management
I will be applying this cycle but will have finished my degree. I would like to remain very competitive for the next cycle, just in case I was not accepted this cycle.

I see most people take an SMP, but it is probably too late for me to apply to that. This graduate degree would be one year long, but it is NOT SCIENCE-BASED. It is entirely business-focused, mainly for small-business management (finance, risk and people management). It seems like it is for non-business majors or adults who currently work, and would want an extra degree for their resume (it is a part-time degree, but I would add courses so I remain a full-time student). My thinking is that, as dentists, we will all be small-business managers, and I think I would genuinely learn helpful material to my future career compared to taking weird bird courses.

My other option is to take a gap year and fill it with bird courses to boost my GPA and continue shadowing as usual.

Would a non-science based graduate degree such as this be helpful for admissions? Or would it have zero effect, and I am better off taking easier bird courses to boost my GPA?

Background: I am a Canadian applicant to US dental schools.

THANK YOU for your help!

About the Ads

HugeCavities

Aug 18, 2019
  1. Pre-Dental
What is your GPA currently? A non-science based graduate degree isn't going to boost it, so if your GPA turns out to be an issue this cycle, it's not going to do anything for you there next cycle either.

My overall GPA is 3.67, sGPA is 3.5 and BCP GPA is 3.675. I had a really steep upwards trend (3.3 -> 3.68 -> 3.76 -> 3.94). As a Canadian applicant, I could use the GPA boost

Would you suggest taking easy science courses then?

FeralisExtremum

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2008
  1. Dentist
My overall GPA is 3.67, sGPA is 3.5 and BCP GPA is 3.675. I had a really steep upwards trend (3.3 -> 3.68 -> 3.76 -> 3.94). As a Canadian applicant, I could use the GPA boost

Would you suggest taking easy science courses then?

Your GPA is fine as it is, and the strong upward trend helps too. I don't think you need to worry about additional courses and I wouldn't suggest paying an extra year's worth of tuition even if you don't get in.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.