Choice of BS/DO in 7 years or BS/MD in 8 years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HStoMS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senoir and it appears I am faced with the choice of attending an accelerated 7 year combined BS/DO program or a BS/MD Medical Scholars program that is 8 years long. To add to the difficulty of the situation, the BS/DO program is through a state undergraduate school (i.e. low tuition) and the medical school is 10 minutes from home (low expenses). The BS/MD program is through a private undergraduate school (35K) with a 1/2 scholarship and the medical school is also out of state. The MD program is more prestigious and was more difficult to get in and I suspect that it could increase my chance at more competitive residencies down the road. Please don't hammer me with this is just another MD vs. DO thread. There are real pros and cons. Just wanted to see what you all think. Faster and cheaper DO or longer more expensive MD?

Members don't see this ad.

If you dont' have a problem with having the letters MD behind your name, and don't have a problem living so close to home for the next 8 years, and aren't looking at things other than what you presented above, I would go for the MD. You are the one who said that the MD program is more prestigious than the DO program in question...and the MD program is cheaper.

My suggestion would be to spend some time at both the undergrad and grad institutions and get a feel for the type of people at each place. Spend a few days talking to students and faculty at both schools. Base your decision on which school makes you feel the most comfortable. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the extra year for the MD....you are young and have plenty of time. After you start, the time will fly by...even with the eight year MD program, you would be among the youngest in your class.

Also, make sure you keep in mind which school would give you the best undergrad education separate from the medical education. I know MANY people change their minds about their future careers during undergrad--you don't want to limit your options. (Of my high school graduating class there were about 25 who said their career goal was "doctor" and now there are 3 of us entering or already in med school).

Good luck with the decision.

HStoMS said:
I am a high school senoir and it appears I am faced with the choice of attending an accelerated 7 year combined BS/DO program or a BS/MD Medical Scholars program that is 8 years long. To add to the difficulty of the situation, the BS/DO program is through a state undergraduate school (i.e. low tuition) and the medical school is 10 minutes from home (low expenses). The BS/MD program is through a private undergraduate school (35K) with a 1/2 scholarship and the medical school is also out of state. The MD program is more prestigious and was more difficult to get in and I suspect that it could increase my chance at more competitive residencies down the road. Please don't hammer me with this is just another MD vs. DO thread. There are real pros and cons. Just wanted to see what you all think. Faster and cheaper DO or longer more expensive MD?
I fail to see how either is accelerated.

Members don't see this ad :)
HStoMS said:
I would choose the 7-year program. It appears to be more time efficient, less expensive, and closer to a support network (your family). I think that if you do well in school, then you will be able to become any sort of physician you would like. Are you or your parents opposed to you remaining at home for the duration of your education? If not, this will reduce the cost of your education as well. This is not just about finances though. You should make sure you are comfortable with the education that each institution provides and look at the quality of physician each puts out. Much depends on you and your desires. I think that you will be okay as a DO or a MD. Ponder over the pros/cons some more and look at what you want for the near future, then decide. I hope that everything works out for you.

csh

p.s. What are the schools, if you do not mind telling us

Thanks. It is so confusing and overwhelming. The problem is I am not sure what I want to specialize in yet. I do believe the 7 year program with all the financial benefits is attractive. However, my concern is will that limit me later if I decide to go for something like optho or ortho? The advice is very helpful. The schools are SUNY/NYCOM and Temple Medical.

HStoMS said:
I always worry about these combined programs. They are very nice in some ways but often don't allow you to truly experience the college life. Think long and hard about whether or not you really want to do either of them. I am sure that if you were good enough of a student to get in now that won't change in the next four years. Plus, you will have more freedom to pursue things that you think are fun and interesting rather than the rigidity that comes with these programs. I knew a few folks that went to a combined BS/MD program and while I have no doubt they will be good docs it just seems that they missed out on some things.

If you really want to do one of these programs you have to think more about where you will be happy rather than absolute cost of attendence.

kaikai128 said:
and the MD program is cheaper.
The DO is cheaper....

I didn't think Temple was THAT prestigous as far as medical schools went?

Temple is not a prestigious allopathic school, sorry; still a good medical education none the less though. Is it temple undergraduate as well? If so, temple is in a REALLY rough area; I am from the philly area and taught the MCAT there, I had to run out to my car everynight. If you dont mind having the DO after your name, seems to make a lot more sense to go with that program. I also want to add I think BS/MD/DO combined programs are great. I wish I knew about them when I was in high school. Good luck.

Sorry, perhaps I should say more selective. There were many more applicants for this program. I realize there are higher ranked medical schools, but Temple seems to have a good rep. etc. as does NYCOM I am sure.

Life is not fair, this applies equally in medicine. In your situation, your goal should be to keep as many doors open as possible. You have an opportunity to do what you want and I recommend you do it with as little resistance as possible. Getting into more competitive specialties oftentimes hinges on who you know, what you did, and WHERE you came from. This is not a slam on DO's, but fact of the matter is, they have to work much harder to get those doors open to them than their MD counterparts. One additional year and a few thousand dollars more ain't going to matter in the grand scheme of things after you've already invested the best years of your life and a small fortune pursuing your dreams. If you're going to do it anyway, give yourself every chance or end up regretting your choices... life is not fair, this applies equally in medicine.

Jus so you know where I'm coming from, I am a US graduated MD. I served as chief resident at my program and definitely know a few things about the residency application process as I helped to pick future interns for our program.

if the choice isn't obvious to you, then you should just choose the cheaper one...

Don't choose either!
Go to a good college. Have fun. Study hard. Then go to a solid med school, do well, kick ass on Boards, and have you're pick at ortho residencies.

I see it as a disadvantage choosing either program.