choice of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

october

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to dental schools near the end of May. I'm a Canadian applicant with a gpa in the low 3.0s.

My DAT stats are:
RC: 22
BIO: 18
CHEM: 19
TS: 18
AA: 20
PAT: 18

The schools that I've chosen so far are:
BU, NYU, Temple, Tufts, Case, UPitt, Columbia, Pacific, Creighton

Which of the schools should I reconsider? Also, what about Baylor, Meharry, UPenn, and ULouisville???

Thanks for any advice!

Also, should I take the DAT for the 2nd time????

Members don't see this ad.

First off, those are great scores and you shouldn't retake the DAT. While your gpa might be a bit low those scores do help your chances a lot. As such I believe you have a good shot at all of the schools you have listed, so just research 'em and find the ones you are really interested in and apply. Best of luck!

I want to narrow it down to at least 10 schools. Any ideas on which ones I should choose??

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, Baylor doesn't accept a whole lot of out-of-state kids, and the ones that they do are from nearby states that don't have dental schools.

" Preference is given to residents of Texas and the surrounding states which do not have a college of dentistry."
http://www.tambcd.edu/html/faqadmissions.html

Your DAT scores should be good enough for many schools, but UPenn, Columbia, and Pacific will want to see 20+ in all sections. Meharry is also extremely difficult to get into if you are not considered an under represented minority.

Thanks for the fast input. How about these schools??
1. BU
2. NYU
3. TEMPLE
4. TUFTS
5. CASE
6. UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURG
7. NOVA
8. Creighton
9. USC
10. Marquette

I just added Nova, USC and Marquette. I got rid of Baylor, UPenn, Columbia, Pacific, and Meharry.

october said:
Thanks for the fast input. How about these schools??
1. BU
2. NYU
3. TEMPLE
4. TUFTS
5. CASE
7. NOVA
8. Creighton
9. USC
10. Marquette

I just added Nova, USC and Marquette. I got rid of Baylor, UPenn, Columbia, Pacific, and Meharry.

great choices
but if i were u i will take out Creighton + U of Pitt and
add Arizona+ Columbia

Well, I can't choose Arizona since they only accept the US DAT (I took the Canadian DAT). And i shouldn't choose Columbia b/c I don't have 20+ in all sections of the DAT.

Why did you suggest those schools? I'd like to know your reasons.

Talk about random suggestions...take out UPitt and Creighton and add columbia and AZ?

I think your list looks pretty good. You might want to PM DrBadVibes for info. He is from Canada and very candid. He will def give you a straight up answer.

BU, NYU and USC are my only concerns. All three of these schools are very expensive (300K).

crazy_sherm said:
Your DAT scores should be good enough for many schools, but UPenn, Columbia, and Pacific will want to see 20+ in all sections. Meharry is also extremely difficult to get into if you are not considered an under represented minority.

Penn isn't as stringent about high DAT scores as Pacific or Columbia - I certainly didn't have 20's across the board. It seems though that Penn favors high gpa's.

I'm thinking about applying only to the first eight schools (taking USC and Marquette off the list). Any input??
1. BU
2. NYU
3. TEMPLE
4. TUFTS
5. CASE
7. NOVA
8. Creighton

october said:
Which of the schools should I reconsider? Also, what about Baylor, Meharry, UPenn, and ULouisville???

I would take out Baylor if I were you,they prefer Texas residents

Gurl21 said:
I would take out Baylor if I were you,they prefer Texas residents

Yup, I've taken out Baylor. These are my choices now but i'm thinking of taking out USC and Marquette.

1. BU
2. NYU
3. TEMPLE
4. TUFTS
5. CASE
7. NOVA??
8. Creighton??

to all the folks saying take out baylor...

should i bother with applying there? i really like the city of dallas and would love to live in texas. but, i'm an out of state resident. however my GPA, is pretty good and I'm aiming for a 21 AA. Would I have a shot as an out of stater? Or should I just move on :confused:

I know a girl in my class at U of Toronto who got into Baylor dentistry. Don't know about here stats but I don't think they were AMAZING like 4.0s. So you should have a good shot.