Choice of specialty and the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am having weight loss surgery this summer and should be at the appropriate weight/height classification to get the HPSP next year (when my third year of med school is starting) and have been considering this possibility.

For those of you already involved in this, how easy is it to get the specialty that you want? For me, it is Emergency Medicine. If I don't end up in this field, I don't see the point of practicing medicine at all. I have a law degree and am a licensed attorney already and so could certainly do something else. If I am not in the specialty that I will enjoy, I would rather seek life elsewhere.

Also, How frequently do you change stations and how much does your preference factor into postings? I really don't mind moving every year or two. And I have lived in Gainesville, FL which is a swamp so I am not overly concerned about some of the locations mentioned. What I am more concerned about is being an ER doc who works in a hospital that sees only a few patients a shift. I like things fast-paced and would even volunteer to be sent overseas (to Iraq or Afghanistan, assuming we are still embroiled there when I finish residency) so I can be best utilized.

Members don't see this ad.

vtucci said:
If I don't end up in this field, I don't see the point of practicing medicine at all.

That being the case then the military definitely is not for you. EMED is typically pretty competitive military or civilian and there are definitely no guarantees regarding case loads in the military once you are done your training. Just out of curiousity is your interest in the military strictly from operational/trauma end of things?

vtucci said:
Hello all. I am having weight loss surgery this summer and should be at the appropriate weight/height classification to get the HPSP next year (when my third year of med school is starting) and have been considering this possibility.
One thing you might not be aware of is that certain forms of bariatric surgery for weight management are disqualifying for military service. In particular, stomach staping and GI bypass-type surgeries are specifically mentioned in the regulations. Other types may or may not be disqualifying on a case-by-case basis. Of course, there are always waivers, especially for consistently undermanned career fields like physicians.

If a military career is something you are seriously considering, you might want to explore other avenues for weight loss (or at least consult with a recruiter before you go under the knife).

Members don't see this ad :)
vtucci said:

For those of you already involved in this, how easy is it to get the specialty that you want? For me, it is Emergency Medicine. If I don't end up in this field, I don't see the point of practicing medicine at all. I have a law degree and am a licensed attorney already and so could certainly do something else. If I am not in the specialty that I will enjoy, I would rather seek life elsewhere.

Also, How frequently do you change stations and how much does your preference factor into postings? I really don't mind moving every year or two. And I have lived in Gainesville, FL which is a swamp so I am not overly concerned about some of the locations mentioned. What I am more concerned about is being an ER doc who works in a hospital that sees only a few patients a shift. I like things fast-paced and would even volunteer to be sent overseas (to Iraq or Afghanistan, assuming we are still embroiled there when I finish residency) so I can be best utilized.

Your chances at EM are better outside the military, no matter what your qualifications. There are far more busy academic medical centers outside the services than inside and a better chance that you will proceed to complete your EM training uninterrupted on the civilian side. Staying civilian for someone with your either/or priorities is a no-brainer.

I co-started a bariatric surgery program in the AF, and active duty are not allowed. Neither are people who''ve had a gastric bypass. I am not sure about the lap band, but its probably the same. Also, I know the gastric bypass is a better option right now, and would imaging that is what you are having.

As others have adviced you, stay away from the military. Get healthy, get your training, become an ER doc, and then if you still want to join, you can do it more on your terms.

Good luck