Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Choice of specialty in Army National Guard ECP

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by carn311, Mar 28, 2007.

1. carn311

carn311 Dead tired.

Resident [Any Field]
    All residencies are civilian, they can tell me that much. However, my recruiter and his superiors seem to be clueless when it comes to some important issues:

1: Would I have to train in a "critical need specialty" after taking Jr. STRAP during medical school. I would assume that I would have to but can anyone confirm this fact for me?

2: They dont have a list of "critical need specialties"!?!:rolleyes: I mean come on. Can anyone provide me with one even if it's outdated?

3. Am I allowed to complete a fellowship or am I required to begin payback (deployable and continue drilling) right after residency?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. iatrosB

iatrosB trying not to kill anyone

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is a list of Army critical specialties...I can't answer any other questions.

Preventive Medicine
    Obstetrician/Gynecologist
    Urologist
    Dermatologist
    Ophthalmologist
    Otolaryngologist
    Neurologist
    Anesthesiologist
    Psychiatry
    Infectious Disease Medicine
    Family Practice Physician
    General Surgeon
    Thoracic Surgeon
    Plastic Surgeon
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    Diagnostic Radiologist
    Neurosurgeon
    Emergency Room Physician

4. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization

Attending Physician
    If you cannot find someone who knows the program better than the recruiter does, don't take the scholarship. That's speaking from personal experience. There were too many things about HPSP that I didn't know because my recruiter didn't know that came back to bite me later.

5. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!

Medical Student
  6. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!

Medical Student
    This is the list associated with the STRAP program that you referenced:

Orthopedic Surgeon
    Family Practice
    Emergency Medicine
    General Surgery
    OB-GYN
    Psychiatry
    Internal Medicine
    Subspecialties of Internal Medicine:
    Preventive Medicine
    Gastroenterology
    Cardiology
    Endocrinology
    Nephrology
    Medical Oncology/Hematology
    Infectious Disease
    Pulmonary Disease
    Rheumatology

7. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    posted this on another thread about my experience so far w/the guard:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iatrosB View Post
    Does anyone know the role of a peds doc in the reserves/guard? Do they just get utilized like FM docs or what?

Actually, they pretty much sit around the armory on the weekend staring at the ceiling for 48 hours waiting to get deployed so they can make less many than they otherwise would while the people in charge of bonus/pay are so inept that they screw up that side of the equation. Then when they get deployed, they'll do something they're not trained in for 90 days.

I'm still a med student, but I wouldn't do it unless you have some sort of obligation. They've taken nearly a year on my branch transfer packet and still no results. There's a lot of bureaucracy in civilian hospitals, but it's nowhere near the level of flat out incompetence in national guard medicine administration.

8. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization

Attending Physician
    Ha ha ha. The picture at that website cracks me up. There is so much wrong with it.

1) The doc isn't actually inside the ER tent. Why would he practice medicine out in the dirt with an empty ER behind him?

2) The doc is looking in the patient's mouth without a light, outside the tent, in the dark. You ever tried this? It's pretty hard to see anything.

3) Why is this doc treating a well-dressed, well-groomed Caucasian child with her well-dressed, well-groomed Caucasian mother standing behind her IN A FIELD HOSPITAL?

4) Why is the tent almost completely empty of equipment? There is like...one table in there without any supplies.

Just had to comment.