Choice of Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briannarenee316

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I will be starting my first year of medical school in August. Currently, I am looking into the HPSP scholarship with both the Army and the Navy.

I was just wondering how much sway, if any, the military has over your choice of specialty, and if this differs based on whether you do the civilian match or the military match.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I will be starting my first year of medical school in August. Currently, I am looking into the HPSP scholarship with both the Army and the Navy.

Wow...I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd recommend doing some reading on this site...you will find all the answers you're looking for.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

If your concern is choice of specialty.....at this stage in the game, before you've even started school.....then I would opt for loans and do FAP after med school.

Use the advanced search button and restrict your search to the military medicine forum. Your questions have been answered time and time again here. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
briannarenee316 said:

I was just wondering how much sway, if any, the military has over your choice of specialty, and if this differs based on whether you do the civilian match or the military match.

Thanks so much for all your help!

The military has zero influence over your choice of specialty. They won't force you to do OB or psychiatry if you don't want to.

What the military can and often does do, however, is not give you spot in the military residency of your choice while also not giving you a deferment to go do a civilian residency. In these cases, your only "choice" is to do a GMO tour, after which you can either
  • re-apply for the military residency of your choice,
  • or, serve out your obligation as a GMO, then get out of the military, then apply for the civilian residency of your choice

In general, it is difficult to get full deferments to do a civilian residency. If you take an HPSP scholarship and want something that either has few spots available or is especially competitive, be prepared to either beat the competition or spend some time as a GMO.

Thanks pgg, I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Is there a place that I can find out how many spots for a particular specialty are available in the Army of Navy?

briannarenee316 said:
Thanks pgg, I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Is there a place that I can find out how many spots for a particular specialty are available in the Army of Navy?

Yes, but it will be totally different the year you apply.