1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

choices after BA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nicky44, Nov 17, 1999.

1. nicky44

nicky44 Junior Member

I just finished school UCLA with a BA in biochem.and a GPA of 3.0. I know that my grades are not good enough to get into DO school... so i was wondering about my choice and what about getting a masters degree to help my chances. help me out thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dave

Dave Member
    10+ Year Member

Remember the GPA's listed are an average, some above and some below. I wouldn't count you out just because your gpa is a little low. To begin w/ a biochem degree from a great school like UCLA won't hurt your chances at all. Have you taken the MCAT? Do you have any volunteer or other health care experience? If you did well on the MCAT they will take that into consideration as well. A graduate degree would definetly help but if your end goal is to be a DO you might as well try and get in, it won't hurt you any. There is a lot more to getting into school then have good grades. Good Luck.

4. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is always the Post Bac option.....don't rule that out..I did it...

5. Deb

Deb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Assuming you do really well on the MCAT and have solid health care experience,
    there is another option you might consider: an MPH. This is a good idea for
    several reasons. First of all it shows admissions committees that you really
    understand public health issues, and have a basic knowledge of epidemiological
    methods and statistical applications. You'll also get some exposure to the
    "business" of medicine. Another plus is that many programs are flexible, so if
    you are accepted, you can finish your degree during med school.

This is the option I chose and I've never regretted it. Most of my interviewers
    were impressed with my choice and agreed that it was a very useful degree. Remember,
    alot of programs now offer an MPH in conjunction with a medical degree and those
    schools in particular would really appreciate an applicant who had already begun
    this type of graduate work.

Deb
    MS3 UHS-COM

6. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just wanted to say that I agree with Deb, and her response was quite well stated. I was impressed with her reply, agree 100%. If I had taken the pre-med courses in college, I would have done a MPH program, because currently I am interested in DO/MPH programs.

Congrats Deb!!!!!

What do you think of UHS? I just decided to apply there...and am waiting to hear from them.

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 11-20-1999).]

7. Deb

Deb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yosh,

Please see my reply in the thread "UHS-COM".