Dec 22, 2012
Status
So, if my current GPA can get into an easier pharmacy school for sure, and barely able to meet the cut off for the harder pharmacy school, which one should I choose?
I am afraid I will not do well in the harder pharmacy and ended up not finishing the program.
When I graduate,do employers all tend to hire people graduated from a higher reputation school?

Sugoi Travis

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
I don't really think there is such a thing as an "easy" pharmacy school. The NAPLEX is, as far as I know, the standardized test that will get you licensed to practice pharmacy. I am not too sure if one can say that school A with a 90% pass rate is easier than school B with a 99% pass rate. I just feel it really depends on the quality of the students at that point. But that's an opinion, one of many, to be taken with a grain of salt.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
Dec 2, 2012
SoCal
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't worry much about it. Everyone who went to pharmacy school will have the same degree, which is a PharmD. It really depends on you. Make the best out of your education. Do fellowships or residency to build networking and credentials.

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2012
Southern CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I don't think more selective necessarily means tougher curriculum. As far as for employment opportunities go..make sure the school is established in your area and has a solid reputation. It doesn't need to be a nationally known brand-name school just so long as it is respected by the pharmacists in your area. If you have the choice--steer clear of the newer schools that leave 'older' pharmacists being like 'huh?...where??'.

OP
L
Dec 22, 2012
Status
if you fail one year, do u just need to redo that year or will you get kick out?

Sep 17, 2012
Southern CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
if you fail one year, do u just need to redo that year or will you get kick out?
I think every school has a different policy on this. For the school you are interested in--try to find their PharmD 'course catalog' or 'course bulletin' and dig for the info in there.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I would pick the school that gives you the best preparation for the real world. If you want to attend a "pump" school, you're cheating yourself. Look up the schools, look up their rotation options, reviews from the students, etc.

Best of luck.

radio frequency

5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
I don't think more selective necessarily means tougher curriculum. As far as for employment opportunities go..make sure the school is established in your area and has a solid reputation. It doesn't need to be a nationally known brand-name school just so long as it is respected by the pharmacists in your area. If you have the choice--steer clear of the newer schools that leave 'older' pharmacists being like 'huh?...where??'.
I've been wondering about the bolded for a long time now. I haven't heard any actual answers, but I would bet that more selective often does go hand in hand with a tougher curriculum.

Sep 17, 2012
Southern CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I've been wondering about the bolded for a long time now. I haven't heard any actual answers, but I would bet that more selective often does go hand in hand with a tougher curriculum.
Not sure if there's any way to really know unless we want to go to pharmacy school twice as an experiment. ;)

But, I don't think the OP should be hesitant about the 'better' school for fear of falling behind. Unless we're comparing 'top tier' to the 'bottom of the barrel' then it should be somewhat comparable. You have to feel out how comfortable you are with the school and whether you think you can succeed there..the quality and accessibility of the faculty, how the curriculum is laid out, etc. What is their track record?..retention rate, NAPLEX pass.. Talk to current students and ask them a lot of questions. And at some point you have to take a leap of faith that you made the right decision..then it's nose to the grindstone, no excuses...use every resource your school has to do well.

OP
L
Dec 22, 2012
Status
well, I was thinking about Waterloo in Canada.
The reason I like this pharm school is because it is a co-op program.
That means I can get real work experience.
but waterloo doesn't require PCAT , while other universities do.
I am not sure if I should take PCAT or should I first apply to waterloo and see if I can get in.
Waterloo just got approved for pharmD so I am really interested in going to waterloo pharmacy.