Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Choose another career path or aim for this one.

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by lttlcrbthtcould, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lttlcrbthtcould

Pre-Medical
    Hello, I will like to know your opinions as to whether I am wasting my time or should I continue.

I in spring 2007, but my science gpa was a 1.77ish my non science gpa was a 3.2 ( I never really studied for them just memorized what was said in class.)

However with my science classes some I studied hard for and others I was lax with my studies. Ironically the courses in which I studied the hardest were the ones I did the worst in. It was not uncommon for me to have my mind go completely blank during exam. It would happen anytime during the exam (beginning, middle and ending)) and no matter how often I read the questions I could not understand it, not just the topic but the language itself. I would read it so often the words would lose meaning resulting in many incomplete exams. And to make matter worst when I would try fixing that by making sure that I understood everything to a T in the chapters I would fall behind my class.

Falling behind helped in some ways, for example when do the practice mcat questions I don't struggle with them especially the stand alone one (could be due to me being relaxed). Also most of the science courses I did well in came in final year and were mostly 400 and 300 levels (most likely because I had developed a good understanding of the early material since still studied after the semester ended. unfortunately I screwed up enough in the first 4 years I did to hurt any chances (hence why I opted to go for a 5th year to redeem myself.)

This fall I decided to take back some classes to increase my gpa and it would take as many science credit as I took if not more to get me to a reasonable gpa for med school. I figured If I take the next 3 years I may have a shot. But I am not too sure now. I took 16 credit this fall and got a 4.0. so if I can keep on that path do you believe I have a shot. I am more convince than anything now that this is the career I want.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your post is grammatically very hard to read so it's very hard to know exactly what you are saying. However, in general, the deeper the hole you dig for yourself academically, the longer it will take to dig back out. Expect this to be a long path for you if you started out with D's in the sciences. Going blank in tests is a problem that will make med school an impossibility -- the tests just keep coming on this path, and each one is more important than the next. So you need to really kick this issue before you proceed. The material becomes harder and more voluminous the further along you go, and the time they give you in tests becomes oppressively short, so any test-taking difficulties get magnified significantly in med school. You can get there, but you'd better be sure you have mastered things academically.

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

You have a very, very long road ahead of you with the uGPA damage that you have managed to incur. You need to do a spreadsheet (or use a computer program) and figure out how many hours of 4.0 you would need to get your uGPA up into minimally competitive range. In addition, you need to be thoroughly prepared for the Medical College Admissions Test before you take it. With very low grades in the introductory sciences (what is actually tested on the MCAT), I would doubt that you are ready for this very important test.

Take one thing at a time. Your first hurdle is to get that uGPA up. If you retake the courses that you scored below B- in, you should be able to do this but you need good grades (no grade lower than B+) and you need money for tuition (not easy to get these days). After you have nearly completed your uGPA "damage-control", you need to revisit preparation for the MCAT.

Before you even embark the process above, you need to KNOW why you are performing so poorly. This may take some objective examination by you and your college advisers to figure out what is going on. If you don't correct your academic skills problems, you will continue to dig in deeper and put medicine (and other health care careers) out of reach.

One thing in your favor is that you have time. Medical schools are not going anywhere and will still be there when you have figured out why your academic performances are so poor and when you have corrected your problems. Your problems are correctable but only you can decide if you are willing to put in the time and effort to do what it will take to prepare for medical school.