• Scariest Story Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

Choosing a dental school if interested in OMS residency

hermey_12

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
25
0
  1. Pre-Dental
    I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.
     

    Doggie

    Professional Jackass
    15+ Year Member
      hermey_12 said:
      I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.


      Apply to Parkland Dental School. As a dental student, you could probably also network with the omfs residents/faculties. I hear that parkland is supposedly one of the best programs in the nation.
       

      WestCoast

      OMFS
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 5, 2004
      196
      2
        Doggie said:
        Apply to Parkland Dental School. As a dental student, you could probably also network with the omfs residents/faculties. I hear that parkland is supposedly one of the best programs in the nation.

        I heared the admissions really like the foreign trained dentists for oral surgery, since all they do in their is take out teeth.
         
        About the Ads

        esclavo

        from frying pan into fire
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Aug 16, 2005
        785
        9
        1. Non-Student
          hermey_12 said:
          I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

          Colorado doesn't belong on that list of schools. The others are strong.
           

          TiggerJSA

          Examing the colon stinks
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 26, 2005
          267
          2
          41
          Birmingham, AL
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            hermey_12 said:
            I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.
            As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience. I firmly believe board scores are almost entirely independent of a dental school (most schools should be teaching the basics, the rest is all in resources readily available if you ask around). The rest of the above requirements are usually pretty attainable regardless of your dental school. However, personally, I have seen a bunch of students from UPenn, Columbia, and UCSF on my interviews, which may say something about those schools encouraging specialty in OMS. But, again, I think if a student wants to specialize, he/she can make it happen independently. Hope this helps...
             

            OMFSdoc

            Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jan 2, 2005
            173
            1
              TiggerJSA said:
              As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience.

              This is absolutely correct. Doesn't matter where you went to school, it's what you did there. Boards, Rank, GPA, Basic Science Course Grades (oral path, OMFS, medicine), Externships, Research, Letters of Rec. Go wherever you want, just do well.
               

              esclavo

              from frying pan into fire
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Aug 16, 2005
              785
              9
              1. Non-Student
                OMFSdoc said:
                TiggerJSA said:
                As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience.

                This is absolutely correct. Doesn't matter where you went to school, it's what you did there. Boards, Rank, GPA, Basic Science Course Grades (oral path, OMFS, medicine), Externships, Research, Letters of Rec. Go wherever you want, just do well.

                These guys are right in terms of getting into OMFS, but I interviewed at every single dental school you mentioned and if your going to spend four years of your life and heaven knows how much money for those four years, might as well go to a school that you feel tries to earn that money and goes out of its way to help you reach your goal. If you interview at all of those places, you'll see why I think Colorado isn't in the same league as the others. Denver is a great place but the school, faculty, and guaranteed clinical experience mixed with the schools average on the board examination is why I have my opinion. All school aren't equal is my point. Some schools place more emphasis on board preparation and give more time to study for boards. Some schools allow more free time to do externships while other schools make it freaking hard. I would go to an dental school with a strong OMFS residency program. You'll get more chances to be involved in research as a pre-doc, get to mix with well known names in OMFS that can write you letters of recommendation, hang around the residency program a little to get an idea of what you are getting into.

                If you are at point A and trying to get to point Z and it was going to cost you $180,000-250,000 to get there. Sure you can walk with your own legs the entire distance (your individual effort/initiative). But you're still paying. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice car to pick you up along the way, people in the car who could pass you some sage advice, give some guidance, enhance the journey. You're paying for it, might as well. While there is no replacement for individual drive as stated above, some schools have a nice greesed run-way where many have made it more time/cost/energy effective. Big bucks and four years of your life is what the school gets from you, get the most bang for it.....
                 

                GatorDMD

                Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
                10+ Year Member
                May 13, 2004
                562
                0
                Med Student lounge
                1. Medical Student
                  Yah-E said:
                  I would hug him and kiss him! Not only I think he's cute, but he has da magnetism!

                  He's not "gay", cut he's gay as hell! (happiest guy ever)

                  PS - this about UFGator, Btw, I met Fred from your class, he's a cool cat as well!


                  You guys dont think I am eye candy huh??? :confused: That is not what Toofache and OMFSCardsfan said to me during my externships... late night in the call room. Didn't I mean anything to you heartless bastards?! :mad:

                  No UF is lacking on a few things.... one of them is the hot gals... the ones we have are married/engaged :mad:

                  Yeah Fred is a cool Cat... I hope he gets his first choice whatever that is. We interviewed at different programs so I a pulling for him since he is not competing with me. :D

                  How were interviews Yahe?
                   

                  toofache32

                  Full Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 19, 2003
                  3,863
                  42
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    GatorDMD said:
                    You guys dont think I am eye candy huh??? :confused: That is not what Toofache and OMFSCardsfan said to me during my externships... late night in the call room. Didn't I mean anything to you heartless bastards?! :mad:
                    I don't remember saying anything...all I remember is you slipping something into my drink and then waking up in the call-room really sore....
                     
                    About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

                    Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                    1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.