Choosing a dental school if interested in OMS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hermey_12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hermey_12 said:
I am in the process of choosing a dental school starting in the fall of 2006. For those of you in OMS residencies or in the process of applying for one, do you feel that certain dental schools provide student a better opportunity to go on and specialize in OMS? What do you know about the following dental schools: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Apply to Parkland Dental School. As a dental student, you could probably also network with the omfs residents/faculties. I hear that parkland is supposedly one of the best programs in the nation.

Doggie said:
Apply to Parkland Dental School. As a dental student, you could probably also network with the omfs residents/faculties. I hear that parkland is supposedly one of the best programs in the nation.

I heared the admissions really like the foreign trained dentists for oral surgery, since all they do in their is take out teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heared the admissions really like the foreign trained dentists for oral surgery, since all they do in their is take out teeth.

hermey_12 said:

Colorado doesn't belong on that list of schools. The others are strong.

hermey_12 said:
As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience. I firmly believe board scores are almost entirely independent of a dental school (most schools should be teaching the basics, the rest is all in resources readily available if you ask around). The rest of the above requirements are usually pretty attainable regardless of your dental school. However, personally, I have seen a bunch of students from UPenn, Columbia, and UCSF on my interviews, which may say something about those schools encouraging specialty in OMS. But, again, I think if a student wants to specialize, he/she can make it happen independently. Hope this helps...

TiggerJSA said:
As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience.

This is absolutely correct. Doesn't matter where you went to school, it's what you did there. Boards, Rank, GPA, Basic Science Course Grades (oral path, OMFS, medicine), Externships, Research, Letters of Rec. Go wherever you want, just do well.

OMFSdoc said:
TiggerJSA said:
As far as I can tell from getting to the interview process, I think specializing in OMS is more dependent on the applicant and less dependent on the dental school. From what I've heard and seen, programs are looking more for grades, rank, board scores, externships, research, and leadership experience.

This is absolutely correct. Doesn't matter where you went to school, it's what you did there. Boards, Rank, GPA, Basic Science Course Grades (oral path, OMFS, medicine), Externships, Research, Letters of Rec. Go wherever you want, just do well.

These guys are right in terms of getting into OMFS, but I interviewed at every single dental school you mentioned and if your going to spend four years of your life and heaven knows how much money for those four years, might as well go to a school that you feel tries to earn that money and goes out of its way to help you reach your goal. If you interview at all of those places, you'll see why I think Colorado isn't in the same league as the others. Denver is a great place but the school, faculty, and guaranteed clinical experience mixed with the schools average on the board examination is why I have my opinion. All school aren't equal is my point. Some schools place more emphasis on board preparation and give more time to study for boards. Some schools allow more free time to do externships while other schools make it freaking hard. I would go to an dental school with a strong OMFS residency program. You'll get more chances to be involved in research as a pre-doc, get to mix with well known names in OMFS that can write you letters of recommendation, hang around the residency program a little to get an idea of what you are getting into.

If you are at point A and trying to get to point Z and it was going to cost you $180,000-250,000 to get there. Sure you can walk with your own legs the entire distance (your individual effort/initiative). But you're still paying. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice car to pick you up along the way, people in the car who could pass you some sage advice, give some guidance, enhance the journey. You're paying for it, might as well. While there is no replacement for individual drive as stated above, some schools have a nice greesed run-way where many have made it more time/cost/energy effective. Big bucks and four years of your life is what the school gets from you, get the most bang for it.....

esclavo said:
Big bucks and four years of your life is what the school gets from you, get the most bang for it.....

Go to a school with hot girls and you can get your biggest bang for it...... :smuggrin:

Doggie said:
Go to a school with hot girls and you can get your biggest bang for it...... :smuggrin:
That's why Nova Southeastern University is your best bet.

Doggie said:
Yah-E said:
That's why Nova Southeastern University is your best bet.

I wish I had this advice four years ago :(

GatorDMD said:
I wish I had this advice four years ago :(

I thought UF had hotties too?!?

toofache32 said:
I have. Still having nightmares....
I would hug him and kiss him! Not only I think he's cute, but he has da magnetism!

He's not "gay", cut he's gay as hell! (happiest guy ever)

PS - this about UFGator, Btw, I met Fred from your class, he's a cool cat as well!

Yah-E said:
I would hug him and kiss him! Not only I think he's cute, but he has da magnetism!

He's not "gay", cut he's gay as hell! (happiest guy ever)

PS - this about UFGator, Btw, I met Fred from your class, he's a cool cat as well!

You guys dont think I am eye candy huh??? :confused: That is not what Toofache and OMFSCardsfan said to me during my externships... late night in the call room. Didn't I mean anything to you heartless bastards?! :mad:

No UF is lacking on a few things.... one of them is the hot gals... the ones we have are married/engaged :mad:

Yeah Fred is a cool Cat... I hope he gets his first choice whatever that is. We interviewed at different programs so I a pulling for him since he is not competing with me. :D

How were interviews Yahe?

GatorDMD said:
You guys dont think I am eye candy huh??? :confused: That is not what Toofache and OMFSCardsfan said to me during my externships... late night in the call room. Didn't I mean anything to you heartless bastards?! :mad:
I don't remember saying anything...all I remember is you slipping something into my drink and then waking up in the call-room really sore....

toofache32 said:
I don't remember saying anything...all I remember is you slipping something into my drink and then waking up in the call-room really sore....
:laugh: :laugh:
i swear it was that uncomfortable misshaped mattrice that gave you the soreness... you must have slept wrong :smuggrin: