Choosing a Major..SOMEONE HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!!

I am a senior in high school and my post-graduation plans are to attend the University of Southern Mississippi and obtain a B. S. in Psychology and complete the pre-med program.

I would like to know if what field of study I obtain a degree in plays a big part in getting excepted into medical school? Is it necessary to major in a biological science, chemistry, etc? Do people who major in a field of science have a better chance of being excepted into medical school than someone who dosn't?
If you don't mind maybe some of you could share with me what major you chose in college? I hope I have not asked to many questions but I have been stressing over this and all the high school quidance counselors seem to do is give me the run around,such as: "Choose a field you would like to go into besides medicine". I figured I would have better luck asking someone who has been where I am trying to go, that is why I came here for help. Also,what is the difference between med/ped and ped?
For my final question, has anyone attended the University of Mississippi Medical Center? If so would you please share with me your experiences as a med student or resident at the university?

SO SOMEBODY ANYBODY PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
ANY KIND OF HELP will be Greatly APPRECIATED.

Sshun

Members don't see this ad.

The real answer is this:
Major in whatever it is that you're interested in. You'll do better that way. Make sure to take all the classes med schools require in addition to whatever your major is.

That simple!@ No stress. Do what you like. But add organic chem!

best of luck!

Try to find what makes you happy. My father was a bank officer. (He had a heart attack...) So as a high schooler I was totally into the Prime interest rate and into buisness and real estate. I would have enjoyed taking more buisness courses if I had to go this route again, and perhaps be a buisness major. Something to keep in mind. Do what you like, and you will suceed highly with little effort becasue you enjoy it. Then just squeeze in your pre-med courses in the summer, or at a community college. Life is far too grand to be wated deep in a laboratory unless that is where you feel most happy and alive. Good healers (and doctors 8) come from everywhere. Good Luck!!

PS: Get your time in volunterring in a ER. Make sure medicine is right!!!

PSS: And try not to spell as bad as I do!!! (Too many years writing SOAP notes 100mph!! )