Choosing a med school (with NS in mind later) - Louisville or Kentucky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crono

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I heard back from KY (where I was on the alt list since all the spots were gone when I interviewed) which I hadn't entirely expected. My future interests are in NS and I was wondering if I would get a benefit, with regards to making myself as strong as possible a candidate for a NS match, by going to one institution over the other? Number wise they seem to be similar, with maybe UK having SLIGHTLY higher numbers for incoming students.

I'm hoping to get a little input in terms of things not quite obvious from the numbers (i.e. how to residency directors perceive the schools?) and ANY advice/input people have.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to both, and while I ended up going to a different school, I was really impressed with UofL's hospital system. I think that they get significant trauma there and I am sure that the surgical education is great (many local physicians suggested that I go to UofL for that very reason - they thought that the grads were very well trained because the program is so hands on).

Both are great schools and you can't go wrong either way. Pick the school that you think that you will be most successful at.

Also, don't have your heart set on Nsurg. There are lots of different specialties out there and I am sure that you will find that you like many of them, probably for different reasons, so keep your options open.

Hey guys,
I heard back from KY (where I was on the alt list since all the spots were gone when I interviewed) which I hadn't entirely expected. My future interests are in NS and I was wondering if I would get a benefit, with regards to making myself as strong as possible a candidate for a NS match, by going to one institution over the other? Number wise they seem to be similar, with maybe UK having SLIGHTLY higher numbers for incoming students.

I'm hoping to get a little input in terms of things not quite obvious from the numbers (i.e. how to residency directors perceive the schools?) and ANY advice/input people have.

Thanks!