Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Choosing a medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lanced, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Lanced

Lanced Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Provided you have the choice, by what criteria do you all choose your school? How did you research this?

I'm applying this Spring and want to start researching schools this winter. I have the usual books, but really want something describing the INTANGIBLES of the medical schools -- i.e. culture, atmosphere, competitiveness, quality of professors, types of students, etc. I'd also love to find a summary all medical schools' residency match rates -- does that exist?

Do any such books exist? I know there are a ton for undergraduate institutions, but I've yet to find one for medical schools.

Thanks all, good luck to everyone currently applying.

2. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The problem w/ looking at matches for a school are that you don't know what part of the matching is due to the school's rep and preparation it gives you, what part is due to the students' own abilities, and what part is due to to the student body's desires for different areas of medicine. Those last two are very strong selectional biases, which throws a lot of the match list's usefulness into question for the applicants purposes. I hope that made sense. Like if bright students choose to go to a school, u'd automatically expect matches to be better, even though that does not mean that you'd automatically have a similar experience if you just barely made it in to a school. and vice versa. And let's say the student body happens to just love internal medicine. Is the fact that there is 1 derm match and 0 ophtho matches going to mean anything?

The main criteria I used for deciding on schools was:
    1. Location
    2. Student body with stats not too far off from my own. you can get that info from one of those AAMC books or something like that.
    3. Stuff I read about how the school works
    4. Feelings I got from the general student body when they spoke w/ me on interview days. This is just a general gut feeling.
    5. US News & World rankings. This was not as important as the others. But i couldn't discount it. I honestly needed to know what schools I could be sure would be looked upon as good. But I never read into it. I was just looking to see if a school was 80 places down from another school i was applying to.
    6. I spoke w/ an attending I trusted in an area I wanted to apply to (Northeastern US), and found out what schools he thought would be good to go too. He was responsible for selecting residents in his ED, so I knew I could trust his opinion. especially since i wanted to go into EM. but this was useful after i had a couple acceptances. wasn't useful in deciding where to apply.

In hindsight, I also should've been looking at the curriculum and how well it worked with my study style preferences. (couple intense short courses, or a few not as intense, year-long or half-year long courses). And how much research is expected of me. A single research project was fine. But I should not have applied to Duke (research year), or Stanford (i fell in love w/ the area, but it wasn't the right place for me. too much research was expected, even though it wasn't required).

3. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rubiconxr

rubiconxr New Member

Pre-Medical
    I am waiting to hear from 40 schools. 2 rejections: UCSF and Wake Forest. I have a 3.7 in premed, and a 3.64 in a Masters of Public Health program in Epidemiology. Stronger research, internships, hospital. MCAT was a 28S. 37 years old, a really varied background. Just thought I'd share that I am waiting too, after August MCAT. Most of my secs were sent out prior to MCAT. Good luck, all.

5. Lanced

Lanced Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah that all makes sense. I was hoping that someone has compiled a detailed residency match list like you describe, w/ break outs by specialty, then you can compare avg. stats of students as a general indicator.

That link just what I was looking for -- maybe more survey respondents though...