Choosing a PCP as a Resident in a Small Town (i.e., not having your IM/FM compatriots as PCPs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoastEMApplicant17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the seasoned physicians in here look for/value when they seek a PCP when moving to a new place. That's the general question.

The specifics of my situation is that I'm going to be an EM resident in a regional academic center in a small, small city. The academic center has both FM and IM residencies. So, if I'd like to have an academician as my PCP (my thought being more likely to practice evidence-based medicine, be most up to date with guidelines), I would risk being being seen by one of the few other residents in the hospital. I'm cool with supporting resident education, but we don't need to be giving each other prostate exams.

Guess that means I search for a community PCP? There is also one other regional medical center nearby - no residency programs.
This is where I seek guidance on what to look for. I see mostly foreign physicians, some older, some younger. A wide variety of locations in which they trained (I'm on the United Healthcare website that shows 81 physicians to choose from).

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering what the seasoned physicians in here look for/value when they seek a PCP when moving to a new place. That's the general question.

The specifics of my situation is that I'm going to be an EM resident in a regional academic center in a small, small city. The academic center has both FM and IM residencies. So, if I'd like to have an academician as my PCP (my thought being more likely to practice evidence-based medicine, be most up to date with guidelines), I would risk being being seen by one of the few other residents in the hospital. I'm cool with supporting resident education, but we don't need to be giving each other prostate exams.

Guess that means I search for a community PCP? There is also one other regional medical center nearby - no residency programs.
This is where I seek guidance on what to look for. I see mostly foreign physicians, some older, some younger. A wide variety of locations in which they trained (I'm on the United Healthcare website that shows 81 physicians to choose from).
Can't you just go to your current academic center but stipulate that you don't want to be seen by a resident physician for the above reasons? If they agree, great, you're done. If they don't, look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be honest, the #1 factor for me when picking a physician after I started residency was ease of making appointments. I'm an otherwise fairly healthy individual - obviously YMMV if you have chronic medical conditions - so my top priority was being able to schedule that insurance physical or get in quickly for minor medical issues as they arise, given my schedule as a resident is so unpredictable. I don't have the luxury of knowing when I will have a day off in 2-3 months since our call days are usually assigned the month prior.

Reactions: 1 users
How likely do you think you are to need a prostate exam within the next 5-10 years anyway? You could always specify no residents for sensitive aspects of your care while not shutting them out of prescribing your anti-hypertensive meds, and still have full access to all the benefits of academic medicine.

I picked the PCP closest to my apartment.

Mind you, I went to the doctor once total in residency and once so far in fellowship, so YMMV. Really, I just was curious about screening labs both times and probably could have lived another few years without visiting.

I would just ask around once you start as to who the good PCPs are. Especially in the ER, they will know who always has patients who are disasters or who had bizarre things done, vs those PCPs who have patients whose treatment regimens seem appropriate.