Choosing a PCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YellowRose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

just curious, as i have never been on active duty before (other than our 1month a year stint). If you are assigned to a hospital as an attending, FP in my case, who do you choose to be your new PCP? Will the army let you choose outside the base from Tricare? i just think it's odd to have a colleague (and may ultimately be your friend as you work together) of yours also be your PCP.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that the assignment is relatively random, and I'm not sure that you get to "choose". You can ask for a change, probably even to a specific person, but I don't think they let you do that from the outset. I know that I was reassigned to an FP intern recently. I've never had any occasion to need my PCM, but if I did then I would definitely asked to be given someone else.

Hi all,

just curious, as i have never been on active duty before (other than our 1month a year stint). If you are assigned to a hospital as an attending, FP in my case, who do you choose to be your new PCP? Will the army let you choose outside the base from Tricare? i just think it's odd to have a colleague (and may ultimately be your friend as you work together) of yours also be your PCP.

You do get to choose, but not likely off base. I have had many colleagues, friends, and associates as patients. It is something you get used to. To pick a doc off base does not exactly give your department a ringing vote of confidence.