Choosing Airlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about flying. Maybe its b/c I haven't flown since I was 5 but now that I have to for interviews I don't know which airlines I should choose. Which airlines are considered good. I went to Expedia.com and they give me many diff. options. Should I just buy the cheapest fare. America West and US Airways are cheaper than American and United. Is it b/c American and United are better? Can anyone suggest what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's some lowdown:

Currently, Southwest airlines is offering great fares for ALL domestic flights. ALL one-way tickets are less than $124 (some are as low as $28), but these must be purchased online at southwestairlines.com.

I personally use travelocity.com when booking flights. They have spectacular deals, and allow one to choose flight departure/arrival times. Many other sites, such as priceline.com, etc., do not allow you to see the departure/arrival times until AFTER you have purchased a ticket. If you care about what time you are arriving at a destination (as you should with interviews), then DO NOT use one of these sights.

kpax, for the majority of situations, choose the cheapest fair. The cheap fair is a result of several things, the foremost of which are good business practices by the airlines, and stops in other cities enroute to your arrival destination. Many airlines simply have higher business costs, and hence higher ticket prices.

I flew last month on a combined Delta/Northwest airlines flight. On travelocity.com the Delta flight cost $200 more round-trip than did the Northwest flight, however it was the EXACT same flight (same plane!). Look around for the best deals. Right now, those are most prominently found on southwestairlines.com.

I like American Airlines--there really is noticably more leg room!
But I think AA is more expensive than southwest. AA gives you a meal on the plane (a crappy lunch meal that includes a sandwhich, chocolate cookie, and chips) whereas Southwest gives no meals--just condiments. I think the service on southwest is a bit better though---the people are more friendly. Check hotwire and then go to priceline to try and lower your price.

Members don't see this ad :)
AA, United, and Delta, among others, no longer serve meals on the plane unless you pay for it (the extra amount is added to the ticket price). This also includes pretzels and soft drinks.

Really? I have gone on AA quite often lately and I always get that meal ---the sandwhich, cookie, and chips???