Choosing an MD/PhD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was strongly considering between Mayo and Sinai to pursue the MD/PhD. I am having a very tough time deciding. Each program has its benefits and draws -- (Mayo's primary draw being the location). Nonetheless I loved the atmosphere at both schools. Anyone here have anything to share to help me out?? In the end I want to end up in something along the lines of academic neurology, immunology or something tangentially related to neurosurgery. Both schools seemed very good to me -- but it's tough to decide. Anyone???

Members don't see this ad.

Fortunately JJ4, you are in your own wonderful boat and must choose your own course.

If I were in your position I would choose Mayo over Sinai but that is because I have never visited Sinai nor did I apply there (I didn't even consider it but if I have to re-apply I probably will apply to Sinai) so I have nothing to compare with. I would imagine with either a Mayo or Sinai MD/PhD and good USMLE score you are golden for many, many, residencies.

I thought of one concern but don't know if it changes anything with either school. Research at Mayo is usually not funded directly by NIH as it is at Sinai.

Sometimes when I have trouble deciding one thing over another, I flip a coin. Make Mayo heads and Sinai tails. Which side the coin lands upon is immaterial, but when the coin is in the air you will probably be hoping it lands on one particular side. That's the school you should attend.

Good luck and congratulations.

Yea -- Sinai is MSTP while Mayo is MD/PhD (not NIH-Funded but funded by the Mayo Clinic). I guess the reason is that a lot of Mayo's research sometimes gears a little more clinically than not.

In any case I would appreciated any other comments anyone had.

So...to the top!