Choosing Audition Rotations

HopefulDoc1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2007
  1. Medical Student
    How does one choose where to do their audition rotations? I can do up to 4 away rotations in the same specialty so how do I go about choosing which 4 places to go to? I know location is a big factor but other than that it is hard to decide.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 21, 2002
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      What I would use to decide:

1. Dream Program
      2. Program with influential PD or attending for LOR
      3. Program with proper balance of teaching an autonomy. You do not want to go somewhere that limits patient contact due to program size or tradition.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
      10+ Year Member
      Apr 28, 2008
      Where the grass is always greener
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        How does one choose where to do their audition rotations? I can do up to 4 away rotations in the same specialty so how do I go about choosing which 4 places to go to? I know location is a big factor but other than that it is hard to decide.

Are you sure it's 4? I believe we attend the same school, and as far as we were told when I was a 2nd year, it was 2. Maybe they changed it, I don't know. Either way, do tell.

About the Ads

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Apr 11, 2006
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I'm going into neurology, and I wound up doing two aways: one at my dream program, and one at a very well-known big name program in a city where I had some friends, just for fun, that I had no intention of applying to. My dream program ended up losing some of its luster and moving way down my rank list, and I'm still not applying to the big-name one, but I learned a ton about neurology and even better learned about what sorts of things I want in a residency.

Audition rotations are a great idea and seem to be almost required in some specilaties (e.g. ortho), but don't limit yourself to doing away rotations only for the purpose of being a better residency candidate. I found out pretty quickly on the interview trail that by the time you get invited for an interview, the only thing you can do to really help out your candidacy is just be yourself, let your personality show through, and find the best fit for yourself. That said, doing an away rotation at a place is a great way to guarantee that you'll get a courtesy interview.

sendwich

you rock!
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          May 3, 2002
            I've heard there are several programs that don't automatically give courtesy interviews to students who did aways there. Is there any way I can get a hold of which programs do this?

Packamylase

MSIV
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Mar 6, 2006
            In the City of Fountains
            1. Medical Student
              I'm a DO student with average board scores (COMlEX only) and avg pre-clinical grades. I have fine clinical grades and a couple good LORs. I have strong interpersonal skills and I work hard. I love the clinical practice! I want to do IM and prob no fellowship.

My question is: How many away rotations should I do? I'm doing one in October @ a dual DO/MD-accredited site. I am also interested in staying in the midwest. I was considering doing 4 straight months of away rotations (Aug-Nov), but is that overkill?

Thanks so much, guys!

turkeyjerky

10+ Year Member
              Sep 27, 2008
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                What I would use to decide:

1. Dream Program
                2. Program with influential PD or attending for LOR
                3. Program with proper balance of teaching an autonomy. You do not want to go somewhere that limits patient contact due to program size or tradition.
                Any tips on finding one that fits #3?

psipsina

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jun 24, 2005
                N'awlins
                1. Medical Student
                  I went and spoke to some of my attendings and they helped me figure out programs that were attainable vs reaches and programs that have the things I currently think I want for a residency. I then found three from the list I complied together that all worked together (schools are on different calendars) and applied to those.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.