Choosing between GCSOM and PCOM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curiousfuturedoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am not sure if this is the best place to post this question considering it is comparing an MD and a DO school.

I am very conflicted right now as I have received acceptances from both PCOM and GCSOM. After interviewing at both, it was very clear to me just based on my feeling that I loved PCOM a lot more the GCSOM- from location, feeling from the people, and opportunities they discussed. However, I also know that choosing DO comes with some extra challenges as far as residency, and I don't want to mess up my future career options by thinking with my heart when choosing a medical school right now. What other things should I be considering when choosing between these two schools? I love OMM and was really excited to be able to use it in my future, but I also know that MDs can take electives where they learn some OMT...
My future goals (as of now) are leaning towards psychiatry or anesthesiology (i know opposite ends of the spectrum lol), but 1000% sure I want to end up in a large city such as NYC or Philly.

I have got some advice that some of the things to look for when choosing a school is if they are pass/fail, how your class ranking shows up on a deans letter, and match rates. Does anyone have advice to offer on these two schools?

Thank you and I apologize if this was overly wordy.

Members don't see this ad.