Choosing between two majors not sure which one would be better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjs101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I want to either go to PA or medical school but am not sure yet. I'm a freshman at Ohio State University. I know your major may not really matter but I have narrowed it down to two, nutrition or neuroscience. I know they are two very different things but I have interested in both and can't decide. Which will be more useful to me for a career in the medical field? And if medicine does not end up working out, which will open more doors to other graduate programs in the health field? Also, I think the neuroscience classes may be slightly harder looking at the coursework for both, so I might be able to get a higher gpa with nutrition if that makes a difference. Would it be worth it to major in one and minor in the other?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that neuroscience is a hard field to find work in. With nutrition, you could do a master's program and become a licensed nutritionist. Neuroscience may expose you to more biology material, but nutrition would give you a good foundation in biochemistry; that major at my university does, anyway. Either way, as long as you finish your prerequisites, you will be good to go for med school. I personally would go with neuroscience because I'm a psych major and I like anything to do with the brain. You definitely want to have your GPA as high as possible when you apply. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
A few things. Neither will be more useful than the other in medicine. The purpose of undergrad is to lay the framework for your medical school education. You need to learn how to be a good student, efficient, a problem solver, how to communicate with colleagues, how to communicate with authority etc. The content of your major is not going to help you in medical school and even less so a future medical career. To pick a major based on the notion that it will help would be a huge mistake.

Being exposed to biology or biochemistry more or less than your average colleague is of little consequence in the long run.

Your major should be focused on what you will enjoy the most and what is the best avenue for you if you end up deciding medicine isn't for you. You will do the best in the major that you have the most interest in and can buckle down and study when you need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would lean towards nutrition only because it is less common, however I feel like neuroscience tends to give you more opportunities for research. Like @mimelim said your interests should guide this decision.

With this new MCAT you have added Sociology, Psychology, and Biochemistry classes to account for as well. You could always decide to become an interdisciplinary major which could give you enough wiggle room to pursue whatever your interests you have.

Yeah I see your point but I feel like there is more I could do with nutrition than neuroscience is medicine does not work out but it seems like most of the science majors in general don't have much you can do with then without a PhD. Are there any that have more options than the rest?

I would lean towards nutrition only because it is less common, however I feel like neuroscience tends to give you more opportunities for research. Like @mimelim said your interests should guide this decision.

With this new MCAT you have added Sociology, Psychology, and Biochemistry classes to account for as well. You could always decide to become an interdisciplinary major which could give you enough wiggle room to pursue whatever your interests you have.
When

Which interdisciplinary majors?

Many schools allow you to essentially create your own major, sometimes from multiple subjects. You could bundle Bio, chem, physics, sociology, psychology, and then branch out for some nutrition/neuroscience or both. There should be an adviser who can help you plan for it. Your only boundaries should be some minimum credit hours for 3 and 400 level classes. Not every school is the same so you gotta check.

Many schools allow you to essentially create your own major, sometimes from multiple subjects. You could bundle Bio, chem, physics, sociology, psychology, and then branch out for some nutrition/neuroscience or both. There should be an adviser who can help you plan for it. Your only boundaries should be some minimum credit hours for 3 and 400 level classes. Not every school is the same so you gotta check.
I would love to do that but it doesn't seem like OSU offers it despite it being such a large school with so many opportunities.

No prob bud, good luck
And when you said neuroscience has an advantage too because of research, would that be beneficial for pa school? I thought they are mostly concerned that you have direct patient care hours

If I were you, biology major. Take a neuroscience and nutrition course, along with the biologies, chemistries, pharmacology, anatomy/physiology, molecular biology, etc...if I were you.

Also, if I were you, wanting either medical school or PA school, I'd make it my mission to get into one of those schools, and not so much on your backup. If you want PA, well, Go Get It. You can do it. Will you?

Research always looks good no matter what field you choose; its a great way to get your foot in the door and its good for networking purposes. Your going to need LORs and this will be a great source.

Worst comes to worse you don't get in your first year you can scoop up a lab job that pays your bills and builds your resume. Alternatively you can apply for a masters/post bacc/SMP and the research gives you an added edge. At my undergrad you could do research for credit hours=fairly easy way to pad you GPA/good break in a hard schedule.

If I were you, biology major. Take a neuroscience and nutrition course, along with the biologies, chemistries, pharmacology, anatomy/physiology, molecular biology, etc...if I were you.

Also, if I were you, wanting either medical school or PA school, I'd make it my mission to get into one of those schools, and not so much on your backup. If you want PA, well, Go Get It. You can do it. Will you?
Are you suggesting biology because of how broad and versatile it is or for other reasons?

Are you suggesting biology because of how broad and versatile it is or for other reasons?

Well, for two reasons really, pertaining to you.
1. Nutrition and neuroscience will leave little in the way of a backup. What in the world do you plan to do with a degree in neuroscience? At least there is nutritionist with a degree in nutrition.
2. Biology is broad and versatile
3. From personal experience, I was a biology major (If I were you...). I could do nutrition with my biology major, PA school, medical school, graduate school, enter the workforce, do research for corporations, the possibilities are wide open.

1. Nutrition and neuroscience will leave little in the way of a backup. What in the world do you plan to do with a degree in neuroscience? At least there is nutritionist with a degree in nutrition.
3. From personal experience, I was a biology major (If I were you...). I could do nutrition with my biology major, PA school, medical school, graduate school, enter the workforce, do research for corporations, the possibilities are wide open.
Do you think major in bio with nutrition minor would be a good option? Also, those I know who have been bio majors who didn't end up going to med school were paid very low with just a bachelors wouldn't you need a phd for biology to have a successful career? I know I could do dental, pharmacy, optometry school etc with it but I wouldn't be interested in any of those. With just a bachelor degree there would be more job openings in nutrition I think.

You have to graduate from an accredited program to become a registered dietician. PA, medical, and gradschool are possible with the other degrees as long as you complete the pre-reqs and take the GRE/MCAT.

that being said I am a biology major, I'm happy with my degree. It did prepare me better for the biological sciences portion of the MCAT, focusing your major on a narrower subject will reduce the chances of you encountering something on the MCAT that you have seen before

by the way, I also have a masters in applied biology. It was a b$#@ finding a job, but they are out there and with experience they don't pay too bad

Do you think major in bio with nutrition minor would be a good option? Also, those I know who have been bio majors who didn't end up going to med school were paid very low with just a bachelors wouldn't you need a phd for biology to have a successful career? I know I could do dental, pharmacy, optometry school etc with it but I wouldn't be interested in any of those. With just a bachelor degree there would be more job openings in nutrition I think.

I don't know what your idea of a successful career is. Success is different based on who you ask. I was offered two research jobs after undergraduate that I turned down based on personal decisions. Could it have brought me a stable career? Yes. Would I be happy? Probably not.

These things are personal decisions only you can decide for yourself. But I am delighted to offer my experience to someone such as yourself.

I could not do dental, pharmacy, or optometry school myself.

With a biology degree and minor in nutrition, a master's in nutrition is surely an option. But with the biology degree, you are prepared for further advanced training programs, or enter the job force.

As an aside, a degree leading to the Clinical Lab Scientist is another undergraduate option that will allow you to take biology courses, and leave you with a guaranteed back up job upon graduation.

I say go get your biology degree and get yourself in that PA program. With PA, the education is short but advanced. It will help you to have a solid foundation in biological sciences. With MD, medical school will give you all you want and more, so a history major is fine, so long as you have your pre-reqs.

I don't know what your idea of a successful career is. Success is different based on who you ask. I was offered two research jobs after undergraduate that I turned down based on personal decisions. Could it have brought me a stable career? Yes. Would I be happy? Probably not.

These things are personal decisions only you can decide for yourself. But I am delighted to offer my experience to someone such as yourself.

I could not do dental, pharmacy, or optometry school myself.

With a biology degree and minor in nutrition, a master's in nutrition is surely an option. But with the biology degree, you are prepared for further advanced training programs, or enter the job force.

As an aside, a degree leading to the Clinical Lab Scientist is another undergraduate option that will allow you to take biology courses, and leave you with a guaranteed back up job upon graduation.

I say go get your biology degree and get yourself in that PA program. With PA, the education is short but advanced. It will help you to have a solid foundation in biological sciences. With MD, medical school will give you all you want and more, so a history major is fine, so long as you have your pre-reqs.
Awesome response! Looks like I need to do some rethinking. I will take a look at the medical laboratory science major at my school as well. I don't think people realize that nutrition majors are mostly biological science courses that have to be taking. I have to take a semester of biochem, microbio, energy transfer and development, and evolution and ecology courses. So I guess if I did a minor a lot of them would overlap.