Choosing between two medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty choosing between several schools. How important is school ranking when trying to get into a good residency program. For example, a school rated 50 in the country vs a school rated 100 in the country. Say you have family around the 100 rated school. Its in a better neigbhorhood (as apposed to the other school, which is in the ghetto). The program rated 50 you know no one in the area, or even in that region of the country.

How would you decide which school to go to?

Members don't see this ad.

The hypotheticals are making this difficult to give a usable answer. Which schools are you choosing between?

In general ranking matters less the higher you go (there's no big difference between where you go near the top). Once you start getting really low on the tiers however I feel you're more likely to run into issues.

In the end though go to whichever school you liked better. If you feel your support network is super crucial to your success and mental health, stay close to home. If you like the program and want to branch out and explore somewhere new, go out of town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ranking is BS, especially if you're thinking of USNWR. Your board scores are what count, plus how you do in your clinical years.

For residencies, med schools can be considered analogous to feeder UG schools for med schools. If you're a known product, that counts.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are talking about the very top schools, ranking will be of minimal importance. Those rankings don't mean jack anyways. It sounds like you would be happier at one school, go to that one.

For me it is between University of Minnesota Duluth and Temple University School of Medicine. I am having a difficult time deciding between them.

Duluth is rated like 100, Temple rated like 50. However, in Duluth I spend my last two years on the Twin Cities Campus which is rated like #20.
When you are looking at #50 and #100, those rankings mean nothing.

When you are looking at #50 and #100, those rankings mean nothing.

That's kinda the feeling I'm getting too, and that is good to know. I just wanted to make sure that choosing one school over the other won't prevent me from going into a competitive specialty.

I am having difficulty choosing between several schools. How important is school ranking when trying to get into a good residency program. For example, a school rated 50 in the country vs a school rated 100 in the country. Say you have family around the 100 rated school. Its in a better neigbhorhood (as apposed to the other school, which is in the ghetto). The program rated 50 you know no one in the area, or even in that region of the country.

How would you decide which school to go to?

Rankings aren't going to make a difference for you. You're not going for Academic Medicine.

Are those rankings for Research or Primary Care?

Is one an instate public?
Are they both the same price?

MD education in this country is pretty flat. Go where you like, score well on your exams, and don't worry about being hurt for specialties. If you're hurt, it won't be because of the school, it will be because of you and your efforts.