Choosing Between Two Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhino184

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been admitted to two allopathic medical schools this cycle and am having a tough time deciding where to be next year. I was wondering if anyone could try to help out a bit.

USC Keck: Stronger reputation, more networking and opportunities for research/clinical, bigger hospital system in a big city, so I could theoretically see more interesting cases/patients, and their students match very well it appears. LA is very expensive though for housing/amenities and I don't know if I love the city. It is also across the country from my home.

UK College of Medicine: Like the city of Lexington, cheaper living expenses, I have close family nearby, and I like the curriculum structure. The people I met in admissions were also very nice. There is less research opportunity here, a lower reputation, and OOS I'd be paying hefty tuition (big loans probably).

In the end it seems to be a battle of what could potentially set me up stronger, or give me advantages for residency matching with USC providing more of those opportunities to enhance those applications vs. the comfort and lifestyle of Kentucky. I also currently have a dog which could be a small factor. My family has different opinions on it and those around me, as well as my own struggle with it. Chime in if you feel like you have any advice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.. this is a tougher one. There are a couple factors for you to consider. What are your overall career plans? Do you want to go into academics, research, or routine private practice? Are you leaning toward IM or surgery? If you're in it for surgery or research/academics, USC would probably give you a better shot at those. If you're looking more at something less competitive or just want to practice privately, UK would probably work. But you also need to make sure you vibe with the students and faculty at those places. If you haven't attended a second look yet, I'd try that for both schools. See which one you feel better at. If you feel more comfortable at the school, you are more likely to succeed regardless. Finally, how's your financial situation? If you're extremely tight, you may want to consider the cheaper option of the two. UK's might be a bit more expensive tuition-wise, but the living expenses could make up for that. You'll need to crunch some of the numbers and see which one is more favorable in that department.

Sorry that's a lot, but there are a lot of things to consider. Only you can make this decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm.. this is a tougher one. There are a couple factors for you to consider. What are your overall career plans? Do you want to go into academics, research, or routine private practice? Are you leaning toward IM or surgery? If you're in it for surgery or research/academics, USC would probably give you a better shot at those. If you're looking more at something less competitive or just want to practice privately, UK would probably work. But you also need to make sure you vibe with the students and faculty at those places. If you haven't attended a second look yet, I'd try that for both schools. See which one you feel better at. If you feel more comfortable at the school, you are more likely to succeed regardless. Finally, how's your financial situation? If you're extremely tight, you may want to consider the cheaper option of the two. UK's might be a bit more expensive tuition-wise, but the living expenses could make up for that. You'll need to crunch some of the numbers and see which one is more favorable in that department.

Sorry that's a lot, but there are a lot of things to consider. Only you can make this decision!

My current interest in radiology, which can be a competitive speciality to get into, and I believe I'd like to practice. Hard decision, glad I've got more time

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think California would give you some good ins with radiology. You just need to consider what factors are most important to you, figure out which school gives the best opportunities for each factor, and then make your decision based on the evidence. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Barbeque or Mexican food?????
Bourbon or wine???

Hey everyone, I have been admitted to two allopathic medical schools this cycle and am having a tough time deciding where to be next year. I was wondering if anyone could try to help out a bit.

USC Keck: Stronger reputation, more networking and opportunities for research/clinical, bigger hospital system in a big city, so I could theoretically see more interesting cases/patients, and their students match very well it appears. LA is very expensive though for housing/amenities and I don't know if I love the city. It is also across the country from my home.

UK College of Medicine: Like the city of Lexington, cheaper living expenses, I have close family nearby, and I like the curriculum structure. The people I met in admissions were also very nice. There is less research opportunity here, a lower reputation, and OOS I'd be paying hefty tuition (big loans probably).

In the end it seems to be a battle of what could potentially set me up stronger, or give me advantages for residency matching with USC providing more of those opportunities to enhance those applications vs. the comfort and lifestyle of Kentucky. I also currently have a dog which could be a small factor. My family has different opinions on it and those around me, as well as my own struggle with it. Chime in if you feel like you have any advice. Thanks

Reactions: 3 users
Barbeque or Mexican food?????
Bourbon or wine???

BBQ all the way. I've been at school in NC for four years. Big fan of sweet tea too. It's just a battle of a location and comfort I enjoy, which is good for my pet too, versus a bigger name/reputation opportunity. It's hard for me. My parents are split on it as well haha

I just hung out with a radiology resident who went to USC. He said it had good and bad aspects. They had a huge patient population and they needed all the help they could get so basically you were in there doing real work, as opposed to a place where you might be standing with your hands behind your back watching over the shoulder of the resident who is watching over the shoulder of the attending.

The bad that he talked about had to do with the very large non-english speaking illegal immigrant populations, they really brought down the standard of care because apparently the doctors just didn't care as much about treating them adequately. He said that was depressing.

Seriously, does the USC acceptance email tell all applicants to post a "USC vs. Other School" thread? There were at least a half-dozen over the last week and this is the second one today. OP, you could check those out for more opinions.

Anyway @rhino184 congratulations on your choices. I see two areas where you should gather (or report) more information. One, what is the overall cost difference, including tuition & fees, financial aid, and living expenses? And two, how do you personally feel about living in L.A., including challenges like finding housing, commuting, and accommodating your dog, and pluses like enjoying beaches and Mexican food? (Edit: Oops I see you said you "don't love it," which kind of answers the question--but you could elaborate.)

Reactions: 1 users
I just hung out with a radiology resident who went to USC. He said it had good and bad aspects. They had a huge patient population and they needed all the help they could get so basically you were in there doing real work, as opposed to a place where you might be standing with your hands behind your back watching over the shoulder of the resident who is watching over the shoulder of the attending.

The bad that he talked about had to do with the very large non-english speaking illegal immigrant populations, they really brought down the standard of care because apparently the doctors just didn't care as much about treating them adequately. He said that was depressing.

That's....horrible. It's very contrary to what we were told on interview day.

I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of stock into what you think you want to do before medical school, but diagnostic radiology at least is no longer extremely competitive so you'd be fine at either school.

How is your Spanish?

That's....horrible. It's very contrary to what we were told on interview day.

People being misleading on interview day? Well I never! :)

I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of stock into what you think you want to do before medical school, but diagnostic radiology at least is no longer extremely competitive so you'd be fine at either school.

How is your Spanish?

People being misleading on interview day? Well I never! :)

I remember a little bit from high school. Took latin in college which won't help me too much with translating native Spanish speakers. And yes I don't put too much stock into my current interest knowing it changes for so many in medical school