choosing between UCSD and USC pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needpharmhelp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello..

How do you choose what pharmacy school is the right school for you? If you have to choose between UCSD and USC, which one would you choose and why? I got accepted to both UCSD and USC school of pharmacy. I live in LA and like most people who got accepted to multiple school, I am also having a hard time deciding. please post your comment here..

If you are gonna say some **** about you not getting in and getting piss at other people because they got in to multiple school .. please go start a new thread and express your feeling.. this thread is for people who got accepted to multiple school and how they decide where to go. ( Did not mean to be rude, but I've seen thread where they say $#@%$@$) Thank you..

Members don't see this ad.

If you are planning to live at home, then cost is virtually the same. Unfortunately, not too many UCSD students post on this forum anymore (probably busy studying).

Just to keep it short, go to a school where you feel you are most comfortable and would enjoy learning. There are plenty of opportunities at either school. Just follow your gut feeling!

If you are a resident of California then I would consider tuition costs. USC i believe is around 37,000 a year, and the parking permits are OUTRAGEOUS, and UCSD is about 18,000 that's a big difference! And with student loan rates on the rise I would pick UCSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely think about what you want to focus on in pharmacy school. From what I hear, UCSD focuses on research and clinical much more than retail (not so sure about USC)

I was an undergraduate at UCSD so I guess i am a little bit biased BUT the school has SUCH a beautiful campus and neighborhood. very clean and very pretty whereas USC is located in the middle of downtown LA (enough said)
but hey i live in LA so i am speaking from experience here.

Definitely visit the two schools and see where you see yourself for the next four years. I personaly would choose UCSD over USC anyday hahaha

I heard that USC is superior since its been around for longer. I heard from current students at UCSD that the program is not as good academically because they are using current students as guinea pigs in a sense. I also heard that the school does not prepare students well for actual pharmacy jobs. My pharmacist aunt graduated from USC and loved it. She had strong relationships with the faculty and students, and honestly, did not want to leave.

Hmmm, if I'm not wrong, the tuition for UCSD isn't 18,000 anymore. . . I know for a fact that UCSF SOP is getting a 1,700 dollar tuition hike each year for the next three years. I heard that UCSD SOP was doing the same. Both of the UCs are public institutions and the budget cuts have made a dramatic impact on funding. However, I am only a UCSF Pharmacy student so I don't have the official word on UCSD. UCSF tuition will be at about 28,000 by the time I graduate. UCSD will probably be similar :(

UCSF tuition will be at about 28,000 by the time I graduate. UCSD will probably be similar :(

When i got accepted to UCSD, it was less than $10,000 a year! We seriously need to invest more money in our public universities or provide reimbursement for those who enter the public sector after graduation.

I heard that USC is superior since its been around for longer. I heard from current students at UCSD that the program is not as good academically because they are using current students as guinea pigs in a sense. I also heard that the school does not prepare students well for actual pharmacy jobs. My pharmacist aunt graduated from USC and loved it. She had strong relationships with the faculty and students, and honestly, did not want to leave.

Yeah.. i know UCSD is a new school and they started not too long ago.. but currently they rank 32 in U.S news.. (i m not too sure). but within that 6 years, they have been recognize for their program and doing a lot better than other university or colleges of pharmacy. And UCSD is a lot harder to get into compare to other colleges in california, since they are only accepting 60 students and all of them have a strong academic background having avg GPA 3.7. (UCSF 3.5, USC 3.4). I don't know what u mean by they did not prepare their students for actual pharmacy job. If you rank schools by the Naplex passing rate. UCSD Rank #1, with couple other schools since they all have 100% passing rate. UCSF having 99.### something.

Yeah.. i know UCSD is a new school and they started not too long ago.. but currently they rank 32 in U.S news.. (i m not too sure). but within that 6 years, they have been recognize for their program and doing a lot better than other university or colleges of pharmacy. And UCSD is a lot harder to get into compare to other colleges in california, since they are only accepting 60 students and all of them have a strong academic background having avg GPA 3.7. (UCSF 3.5, USC 3.4). I don't know what u mean by they did not prepare their students for actual pharmacy job. If you rank schools by the Naplex passing rate. UCSD Rank #1, with couple other schools since they all have 100% passing rate. UCSF having 99.### something.

I would think the CPJE is the more difficult exam to prepare and pass compared to the Naplex.

I don't know if this will influence your decision on where you will want to end up at but here's the link: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/0407_0807_stats.pdf or try this
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/about/pass_rates.shtml

definitely UCSD over USC...

I actually like UCSD's program...2nd year pharm students have class with med students right?

I wish I applied to UCSD...

:confused:
definitely UCSD over USC...

I actually like UCSD's program...2nd year pharm students have class with med students right?

I wish I applied to UCSD...

Yeah... you are right. second year pharm students have classes with 1st year med students... I think it is a great program too...
I am just wondering.. if any of you happen to know which school give you less stress in term of studying and work load?.. I know pharm school is not easy at all... i am just comparing the intensity of stress......

UCSD!!!!! vs USC....

:confused:

Yeah... you are right. second year pharm students have classes with 1st year med students... I think it is a great program too...
I am just wondering.. if any of you happen to know which school give you less stress in term of studying and work load?.. I know pharm school is not easy at all... i am just comparing the intensity of stress......

UCSD!!!!! vs USC....

Not sure that taking courses with med students would have any positive influences on my choice. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but med students are generally looking for diagnostics vs pharm students for corrective actions. I think I'd rather have a different course from med students. Nonetheless either way it's probably not drastically different. Tuition and cost of living would be bigger factors for me. As with much in school you tend to get out of it what you put in, so despite environment, desire generally has more to do with education when comparing pretty top notch schools. I'd go UCSD if I were you. No offense to USC, it's just cheaper.