Choosing dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lili

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student trying to choose a specialty. I have recently become interested in dermatology, but do not know where to find information. Apart from a nice lifestyle, what attracts people to dermatology?

Members don't see this ad.

Try the American Academy of Dermatology and aks them for an Info packet:

American Academy of Dermatology (708) 330-0230

Keep in mind that derm programs are highly competitive, and this is an understatement. As for what attracts people to derm, it beats me...just kidding
smile.gif

Good luck!

Originally posted by UHS2002:
Try the American Academy of Dermatology and aks them for an Info packet:

American Academy of Dermatology (708) 330-0230

Keep in mind that derm programs are highly competitive, and this is an understatement. As for what attracts people to derm, it beats me...just kidding
smile.gif

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in Derm. because of the variety of things you see each day. Also you can perform procedures at a level that you are comfortable with. If you're into surgery, there is plenty of opportunity for it. If you're not too comfortable with that, you can just stick to the simple things like biopsies.

Hey Carbon-- that link seems to be down. I keep hearing Medschool.com is down all the time-- do you know anything about it?

What attracts people to dermatology?

Nice set hours (8-5 M-F), and very few calls at 3:30 am for a prescription for an antibiotic for acne.

Personally, it sounds very boring to me, but I have always been a Type A personality.

Look out ER, here I come.... Still no call when off-duty, but the potential for action is there at least. Still, I don't know how many acute otitis media before I am sick to death of them and longing for a gunshot victim or MI.

Pilot

I feel compelled to defend the excellent field of dermatology from such slander!
And I would like to point out quickly that if lifestyle is your selling point, you might want to consider PM&R or radiology (also excellent fields) because derm is very, very competitive. There just simply aren't many training spots. If you don't LOVE it, don't put yourself through applying to 60 residency programs!
What's so great about dermatology? It's got surgery AND medicine and you can gear your practice toward nasty diseases or cosmesis, whichever you like better.

It also packs enormous visual appeal...somehow seeing a rash clear up or psoriasis or whatnot improve brings me more satisfaction that controlling someone's hypertension ever could.

Arguing about which fields are "better" is a silly waste of time, but dermatology seems to take more than its fair share of heat from the other guys.
Just answer me this: If I cleared up some guy's grody cystic acne so he could finally, for the first time in his life, score with chicks, while you controlled his high blood pressure (which never made him feel bad in the first place), with whom do you think his gratitude would lie?

His gratitude would lie with you, of course, until he dropped dead from an MI , or started drooling from a CVA, while busy scoring with the chicks
smile.gif

Not many people die of acne, but lots die of untreated HTN.

Take this comment in good spirit, as it is meant.

There isn't really a specialty which is "better than" another. All specialties in medicine are necessary. Although the glory of derm may be found more in treating things such as exfoliative dermatitis rather than acne vulgaris or recognizing when a innocent looking rash is heralding a much more serious medical condition. But people are different and there are tastes to fit every specialty in medicine and vice versa.

Reading some of these comments and the reasons they love dermatology really make me laugh.

You got satisfied by making rashes go away or curing somebody's acne?

Let me tell you these, I know all the treatments for acne or rashes, it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If I can't cure my patients' rashes or acne, I am sure the dermatologist can't!!!

Be real, dermatology=clean, no brainer, make lots of money!! Nothing wrong to admit that.
But don't be too ambitious without being a member of the AOA and >90% in USMLE.

Good luck.

From a surgery resident

Now how does a surgery resident have time to waste on SDN? I keep hearing about call every other night, 100 hour weeks, etc. Or is this just hype to scare away those not truly devoted?