Choosing Med School based on Residency Strengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAdams

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a very fortunate position to have two great medical schools to choose from, so I will say right now that I am not trying to be ungrateful.

However, I would like people's opinions on this dilemma I am having.

In short, one medical school is ranked slightly higher, progressive curriculum, but the residency programs there are not very strong at all (especially the one I am interested in, Internal Medicine).

The other medical school is ranked slightly lower, but still highly ranked, decent curriculum, but for some reason has much stronger residency programs, including Internal Med.

My question, therefore, is that all other things considered equal, location, cost, which one of these schools is the better choice? I feel that at the lower ranked school, I will be taught very well in my clinical years, but the ranking isn't as high as the other school. Any tips or suggestions? I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Ranking by USNews standards doesn't make AS much sense when you're not talking about top 20 schools because research money plays too big a factor when your education should come first.

I should still note that those rankings don't mean much anyway, but I digress.

Pick the school with the most hot single chicks.. THen residency comes in a distant second.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the rankings play a part, in medical school mostly. I've pondered this question, also. Now, don't take my word as gospel because odds are I am incorrect, but I think if you go to a school that is in the top 50, either way you'll be fine. For most residencies at competitive places you need to do a sub-internship at that program to even get consideration, no matter where you you go through medical school. I know this isn't true 100% of the time, but many programs show preference to people who do a sub-i in the program.

I'd look at where you'd be the happiest. I'd say going through medical school at the same place the residency is could boost your chances.... however, how are you certain you want to do IM? Eh, I'm sure there are residents, attendings, or MSIV's on here who could help... I'm just a lowly pre-med.... might want to ask this question in the allo forum...

I believe the rankings play a part, in medical school mostly. I've pondered this question, also. Now, don't take my word as gospel because odds are I am incorrect, but I think if you go to a school that is in the top 50, either way you'll be fine. For most residencies at competitive places you need to do a sub-internship at that program to even get consideration, no matter where you you go through medical school. I know this isn't true 100% of the time, but many programs show preference to people who do a sub-i in the program.

I'd look at where you'd be the happiest. I'd say going through medical school at the same place the residency is could boost your chances.... however, how are you certain you want to do IM? Eh, I'm sure there are residents, attendings, or MSIV's on here who could help... I'm just a lowly pre-med.... might want to ask this question in the allo forum...

Dont worry about the school....Go for the girls!

I'm going to guess that if you're choosing your medical school based on how hott the girls are who go there then you shouldn't be worrying about competitive residencies.. lol.
dang...O well I better give up dermorthoradiology.

I'm in a very fortunate position to have two great medical schools to choose from, so I will say right now that I am not trying to be ungrateful.

However, I would like people's opinions on this dilemma I am having.

In short, one medical school is ranked slightly higher, progressive curriculum, but the residency programs there are not very strong at all (especially the one I am interested in, Internal Medicine).

The other medical school is ranked slightly lower, but still highly ranked, decent curriculum, but for some reason has much stronger residency programs, including Internal Med.

My question, therefore, is that all other things considered equal, location, cost, which one of these schools is the better choice? I feel that at the lower ranked school, I will be taught very well in my clinical years, but the ranking isn't as high as the other school. Any tips or suggestions? I appreciate it!

The quality of the residency program at the school is meaningless. You'd have to match there as if it were 3000 miles away. Go where you want to go, not where you think you should go

Actually, if a department is particularly strong in a field that interests you, then take that into consideration. For very competitive specialties (esp. those that are politically competitive), having a world-famous chairman write you a letter will undoubtedly boost your residency application. They know directors at other residency programs, and a letter along with a single well-placed phone call is not out of the question. This is one benefit of going to a prestigious med school because they often attract very high caliber directors of medical departments. This was a big reason I picked Northwestern - the chairman I want to work with is the president of the American board of surgeons in his field.