Choosing med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

borya_2002

Hi,
What schools are best? What do you think of UCLA, UCSD, NYU, Mayo, U Washington?
I think UCSD is best school and in the best city, and so is UCLA. How hard is it to get in? If i have a really high gpa and mcat, do i need anything else? If so, is it best to do research or something cool like mountain rescue, lifeguarding...?

Can i get california residence if my sister lives there? make it look i live there too?

Members don't see this ad.

umm.

are you for real?

Of course he's not for real, he's doktor_prishel. Borya_2002, I thought we already decided your fate with a coin flip?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will tell you about them.
1. They are both ultra-competitive.
2. Your parents or you (only if independent) have to live there for at least a year for you to get residency.
3. I hope that you do not get in to either of those places based on some of the blatantly mean things that you have said to people on this board.

OUCH,

I do not feel any kind of love brewing in this thead. Eekk. I don't know what you have said before, but those programs are all very competitive. And as for state residency, are you for real? Maybe you should ask them in your personal statement? Just my idea....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by borya_2002:
•Hi,
What schools are best? What do you think of UCLA, UCSD, NYU, Mayo, U Washington?
I think UCSD is best school and in the best city, and so is UCLA. How hard is it to get in? If i have a really high gpa and mcat, do i need anything else? If so, is it best to do research or something cool like mountain rescue, lifeguarding...?

Can i get california residence if my sister lives there? make it look i live there too?•••••cali schools are very difficult to get in. you'll definitely need residency there. in order to get this. you'll have to reside in the state for at least one year, but you cannot be in school at the time.

simply having a great gpa, mcats, and even great ECs guarantees nothing.

thanks oldman!
hey, if i'm working for a year (not studying) in a place like alaska or ny but also can prove that i'm paying rent in california, will this count for residensy requirement?

Here's something else to consider. I talked to a lady in UC admissions the other day, and she said to remember that even if you can apply for resident tuition the term you enter medical school, you will still be considered a non-resident during the applications process. I only have this from one source, so if you have other information feel free to correct me.

I should clarify that this is the case if you are not an actual resident at the time of application.

Borya,
Are you with Russian mafia?

•Can i get california residence if my sister lives there? make it look i live there too?•••••Oh, so you're planning to start off your medical career by defrauding the state of California. Great idea! :rolleyes:

•thanks oldman!
hey, if i'm working for a year (not studying) in a place like alaska or ny but also can prove that i'm paying rent in california, will this count for residensy requirement?•••••working? are you going to be an independent of your parents? if so, you'll get alaska/ny residency cause you'll be paying their taxes and living there for a full calender year.

some good ways to show you are a resident
-parents live there (if you are still a minor or in college)
-pay the state taxes
-get a driver's license
-actually own a place where you reside for the majority of the year.

thanks a lot oldman! i guess it will be real hard for me to get that residency. but the info is very helpful

•thanks a lot oldman! i guess it will be real hard for me to get that residency. but the info is very helpful•••••also remember that most california residents apply to a lot of medical schools (20+) compared to the nation-wide average of 10.

if you want an easier time of getting into med school and your family can relocate, try finding a state with easier in-state acceptance rate.

btw, aren't you fresh outta high school? you're thinking too far ahead.